Using Microsoft Edge

bluenose1940

In Runtime
When I open Microsoft Edge and go to My favourites I have to click on the words 'Imported Bookmarks' in order to get at the full list.

Is there something that I need to do so that this list is visible as soon as I click on the Hub button at the top of the page.

Many thanks.

Hello BikerEcho, Hope you are well. You usually pop up when I am looking for some help, thank you.

I have just done a reinstall of my O/S and prior to doing that I somehow (can't remember how though) managed to make a copy of my list of favourites to make life a little easier after the install. I created a folder on my 'D' drive (which I use for all my data) and I called it 'Favourites' I then managed to save this list to this folder but, looking at it this morning, there are two lists in there, one is called Bookmarks and is a File folder with no size given but, is does show all of my favourites and is in fact a better list than the one that I have used. This file was created back in April of this year and, I wish that I had used this one. The file that I actually used is called Bookmarks_2 and was created on 28/09/17 and is 45kb in size and is shown as an HTM file.
As to where I created either of these files from, it would have been either Edge or Google.

As I said in my original post, normally when I click on the Favourites hub, the whole list opens up and I can then choose which one I want but, at the moment, after clicking on the hub, I then have to click on the words Bookmarks_2 in order to open the list.

Thanks again for trying to help.

I am fine. Thank you.

What happens if you just copy paste the files from "bookmarks" into C:\users\%username%\favorites?

Right I have copied and pasted into the directory as you have suggested. What will I need to do next or will something happen automatically. The directory where I have pasted to was empty at the time.

If you click on the favourites star in Edge one of the options that comes up is to "Import from File". This should allow you to import your favourites from either Internet Explorer or Firefox. I don't know if you exported your favourites from Edge before you reinstalled windows. If you did then that file should be available to you somewhere on your PC.

Hello pete.i What I have done at the moment is, I have deleted all of the favourites list from Edge and then I have asked it to 'import from file' but, it doesn't give me an opportunity to choose the file, it just goes straight to the one that I imported earlier. What I would like to do is use the one that I put into the directory as suggested by BikerEcho. Is there some way that I can achieve this please?
Thanks for helping.

I tried it myself, and apparently it doesn't work that way.
Edge are using some kind of database called ESE instead of just storing the bookmarks as internet Shortcuts like chrome does.

I tried transferring internet shortcuts to edge favorit folder, nothing happens in edge. (btw, that's not located at: "C:\users\%username%\favorites". My bad. It has it's own loooong ass address)
That doesn't work because after Windows 10 Build 10565 they started using this database system instead of a classic folder. So Edge own favorit folder doesn't even work anymore.
(unless you deactivate ESE: https://techjourney.net/change-microsoft-edge-favorites-storage-location-disable-enable-ese-database)

I transferred some google bookmarks to IE's favorite folder and imported them in edge. It will make a separate folder for imported bookmarks. And that's not what we want.

If it's only about 30 bookmarks or less i would just remake them in edge.
You can right click on the "imported from internet explorer" and choose open all.
Then just add them to bookmarks one by one. Might be faster than trying to fix your problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom