Random Chit Chat

Just yesterday a royal decree has been issued to allow women to officially drive here in Saudi Arabia :)

Not sure starting when it is gonna be effective.

We won't be the only country without that anymore :D

Last edited:
Just yesterday a royal decree has been issued to allow women to officially drive here in Saudi Arabia :)

Not sure starting when it is gonna be effective.

We won't be the only country without that anymore :D

I'd read that it won't take effect until next year, with them sorting out the specifics and what the police are supposed to do when they come upon a female driver. I think one article even suggested the possibility of women in the police force. Do you think many women will choose to drive? or will they stick with chauffeurs?

Last edited:
I honestly don't know. Things are unpredictable here. But I have a strange feeling not many women will choose to drive for errand running (including schools and making living costs) purposes because they already expect men to do those by culture, and men can't complain about it, let alone we prefer to actually do it. Lately (and that extends to like two decades) they even demand men to bring them house maids and not just run errands. Men who complain about that and refuse to do it are looked down upon here.

Average people like me cannot afford chauffeurs (I also prefer running my family's errands myself anyway and consider it honorable) so it is settled, but the more capable families are most likely gonna keep using chauffeurs just as they depend on house maids. Men here typically believe women are not obliged (yet are welcomed) to spend money for living costs even if they have a good income.

This decision is specially good for women who don't have someone to drive for them. It's gonna really help.

I'm waiting for my mom and two sister to get ready now to take them out to go shopping actually. I came tired from work and had to take a nap for that and still am, but I can't say no to them.

I'm not trying to imply anything gender wise here. I'm merely explaining the cultural part of it here as I know it.

Well, my youngest sister just turned 21 and i'm still teaching her to drive. If you're the one that has to teach them to drive, let me tell you, patience is KEY.

Back
Top Bottom