Need more memory?

Celery

Golden Master
I have 8 gigs of memory in my i5 system. It seems ample but how do I know that?

The i5 is 5+ years going on the clock and still solid but are the software and the net more complex?

I was looking at the upgrade solution (new Mobo, CPU and DDR4 Mems) but getting 2x8 DDR3 mems is cheaper.

What do ya think?

You could monitor how much you use and decide based on that. If you see your RAM getting filled up too often then you get more.

By the way, why would you buy 2 sticks of 8Gb? 24Gb seems overkill.

I have 16GB of memory in this computer and the only way I can come close to utilizing all of it is by running multiple VMs.

How much RAM you need is directly related to what mix of applications you typically run. You can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to watch your memory usage and see what percent of the time your system is hitting 90-100% memory utilization. If a significant portion of time is spent with 90-100% utilization then you need more RAM.

Many people falsely believe that adding more RAM will somehow magically speedup your computer. Adding more RAM will only speedup your computer if you're typically hitting > 100% memory utilization and the system is swapping out portions of RAM to disk.

Last edited:
You could monitor how much you use and decide based on that. If you see your RAM getting filled up too often then you get more.

By the way, why would you buy 2 sticks of 8Gb? 24Gb seems overkill.

I have only two slots AMD.

Strollin, what is 2.8/15.9 committed? What does 15.9 represent?

Last edited:
What I thought so will 16 gigs of sticks take its place? I don't how the memory is managed but seeing 5 gigs of physical memory unused makes me wonder why not use them instead of swapping with the drive?

Then I wonder if using 16 gig physical memory will change the management to use less swapping.

By the way I still have my i3 system that all the parts are interchangeable with my i5 system and I have 4 gigs memory I could've used for 12 gigs. When I bought the board I got the two slot instead of 4 slot (B75-HD3 instead of B75-H3D duh).

What I thought so will 16 gigs of sticks take its place? I don't how the memory is managed but seeing 5 gigs of physical memory unused makes me wonder why not use them instead of swapping with the drive?

Then I wonder if using 16 gig physical memory will change the management to use less swapping.

By the way I still have my i3 system that all the parts are interchangeable with my i5 system and I have 4 gigs memory I could've used for 12 gigs. When I bought the board I got the two slot instead of 4 slot (B75-HD3 instead of B75-H3D duh).
Yes, in theory that is how it should work: your main memory gets filled up, but you need to start a new process, so the main memory is moved to your secondary memory.

I'm not sure what that thing is. I was just guessing it was swapped memory. It seems weird because you have a lot of free main memory.

I don't know if this exists, but there is probably some software that will save the usage charts, so after a few hours you can check them out and see if at any point it got filled up. You should look into that. And if you find something, post it here. I could use that too, since I'm with 8Gb too! I've been wondering for a while if I should invest in more RAM.

Of course I am, I have to do the job first. :rolleyes:

I opened a bunch of web sites, around 15-20 of them and here's the result which is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom