I am ready...

Never done ice fishing, WD. I only saw it in the movies really. I don't think it's gonna happen here unless we get an ice age, then maybe, just maybe it could get cold enough to have it haha. August has passed by 12 days already and we still get +44C (+111F).

Sorry to know about your paycheck cut. I think I can feel a very little bit of how you feel since I haven't received a salary for 13 months now (long story). If it weren't for my family living with them, savings, rational mind and single life, I would be begging in the streets right now.

Yeah...I know what you mean!! Uncle Sam is getting ready to throw the screws to Deb and I. We are only getting $1100.00 a month starting in October! Gonna have to leave here. Found a couple of other courts over in Florida and Alabama. I know, They are dangerous places but we can load up and go inland till the storms pass. Then go back down after. In order to do this we are going to have to get rid of stuff in the storage shed and we will have to dry camp so we can save the money for fuel. I don't know how they expect two people to live on $1100.00 a month!!

I don't get it Dan. You live in an RV right? How does it cost more than $1100 to live in it? How does it even cost $1100 to live in?

I own a house with my sis but I only have my room so I pay 1/4 on utils and property tax. My share comes to $324 and that included my internet, car ins, Netflix and cell. I only make $750 a month.

Its almost 400.00 for rent and electric. That also includes water and sewer. There is insurance on the home and truck thats over 150.00 a month. Paying 180 a month for phone and tablet with service and on-line service. Our internet is almost 70.00. Tv is over 80 with the pay channels.Gas for the trailer. Gas for the truck. Medicare for both of us 230.00 a month. Upkeep on truck. and food. thats over 1225.00 before work on the truck and food. I guess we will live on air and water......

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

everyone thinks that if you have a rv that you must have money. You don't!! It costs to have one of these holes in the air that you throw money into! I just spent a little over 120.00 bucks on parts to fix this beast. I have over 250.00 in parts from this month for the truck and i need more but thats not happening.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Its gonna cost me 70 bucks to get a copy of my birth certificate so i can get the drivers licence...pricks!!

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

need i say more...

I thought it was cheaper to live in an RV. You pay for the lot and hookup which wasn't bad but it's your other stuff that's costing you. My internet is $75 unlimited but my phone is $34 for unlimited talk, text and data. I have TV on antenna so it is free. The programming is pretty good but the commercials sucks big balls.

My utils and tax is $150, Netflix is $11, Car Ins is $54. I guess owning the house helped by not having to pay rent.

... I don't know how they expect two people to live on $1100.00 a month!!
My question would be, why do you only have $1100 a month income? Didn't you plan and save for your retirement while you were working?

When my dad "retired" and I saw him struggle to get by on the $750/month he got from SS (that was in the 1980's), I swore that wouldn't happen with me. My sister and I ended up supplementing his income so he would have enough to live on.

I started putting money into a 401k savings plan at work when I was in my 30's. A 401k is nice because that money is taken out of your paycheck before taxes so the government is giving you a little boost. On top of that, many companies match a portion of your savings so that's like getting a raise from your employer. After 30 years of doing that, I now have a nice little nest egg to tide me over in retirement. My wife and I each get SS and a pension as well.

She retired about 10 years ago, I retired in Jan last year and we were fine financially (even supporting 3 of my adult children who live with us). I got bored so went back to work in Feb of this year. I'm currently contributing to my 401k at a decent rate which will build the next egg a bit more before I retire for good in about 2 years.

The one thing that scares me is that it would only take 1 major medical situation (one of us get cancer or something like that) to wipe out our savings. Even then, we would still both get SS checks and our pensions so we would still have a decent income.

I hope I'm not coming off as bragging as that isn't my intention. It may be too late for Dan and Celery to do anything about their situations but, for you younger guys still working, I'd advise you to put money aside for your old age starting as soon as you start working. Retirement may seem like a long way off but it might sneak up on you. I think both Dan and Celery retired early due to medical reasons.

Sorry to know about your paycheck cut. I think I can feel a very little bit of how you feel since I haven't received a salary for 13 months now (long story). If it weren't for my family living with them, savings, rational mind and single life, I would be begging in the streets right now.

WOW, where do you work that they can get away without paying you for 13 months? Are people still actually working even though they haven't been paid in over a year? I feel like, here in the states, if an employer didn't pay their employees for a month or two, either the employees would leave, or burn the place down...

Last edited:
WOW, where do you work that they can get away without paying you for 13 months? Are people still actually working even though they haven't been paid in over a year? I feel like, here in the states, if an employer didn't pay their employees for a month or two, either the employees would leave, or burn the place down...

Heck, if my employer missed 1 paycheck, I'd be looking for a different employer.

It's really complicated. The govt. is doing nothing to these employers for some reason (although the rule is based on returning rights asap), the private sector somehow works differently than the govt. sector, I'm working in the construction contracting field which is facing business problems for a long time now, my employer chose to not announce bankruptcy, the Ministry of Labor is a scam here, and those who didn't leave couldn't secure other jobs first. Many left already once they found a better job. My chance is the govt. jobs announcement about month from now. The govt. sector does not have such problems.

The salaries are accumulating at least and are given irregularly. Those 13 months are spread on 2016 and 2017, not straight months. I should have clarified that earlier. If I leave, I'll get a priority to have them along with my end of service pay, but I can't until I secure another job. It's really weird that I can't find a job based on an English degree. I thought is was wanted.

Even I am wonder how is this allowed to happen really.

Back
Top Bottom