personal Wifi controlled ( smart ) internet kill switch?

frldyz

In Runtime
Found this.
Build an Internet Kill Switch | Make:

make_wp04_internetkillswitch_finished.jpg

Pretty interesting if you ask me.
Has anyone made anything like this.
I suppose you could just plug and unplug your router or cable to PC.
But then you'd have to access back of your PC and kill your wifi connection.
And if you have smart wifi gadgets @ home this wouldn't be useful.

Anyways...
Would it be possible to make a wifi internet kill switch?
One that you could possibly control by your phone?

I suppose if the switch was somehow getting power from an outlet you could install a wifi/smart outlet and kill the connection. But they don't require power from an outlet.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

I suppose you could run a ethernet ( Cat5E ) cable out from your router into a 2nd router. Then have that 2nd router powered by a wifi/smart outlet. And run another ethernet ( Cat5E ) cable to the PC you want to kill a connection to.

Does that make sense?
Is that even possible.

Can you run a connection from 1 router to a 2nd router?
Kinda like "daisy chain ".

Uhm... It seems like a complete waste of time... Why not just disable the adapter from your computer?

In addition, I don't understand your last plan. Why not just replace the first router for a powered router, and just unplug that one?

Uhm... It seems like a complete waste of time... Why not just disable the adapter from your computer?

In addition, I don't understand your last plan. Why not just replace the first router for a powered router, and just unplug that one?

I wouldn't want my router disconnected.
I need it to power my smart home devices etc..

I just want to kill internet connection to a computer.

Just read somewhere if some guy doing it. And was wondering if it was possible.

Not needed as far as I'm concerned but all that is needed is to put a switch in-line with the connection to your internet provider to sever the connection between your router and the ISP. Pretty basic.

I think the best use of this is to put it into a clear locked box (like some places do with their thermostat) and threaten the children with it. Like, 'do your homework, or i'll turn off the internet' or 'go play outside, i'm turning off the internet'.

As a parent who raised 4 children, I believe there shouldn't be any need for a switch like that. You should be able to tell your children, yes or no, in regards to whether they can use the internet or not. You're the parent and they should obey your rules.

Back
Top Bottom