Desktop PC thinks its a laptop?

HeTiCu

Solid State Member
So, I blew out my desktop PC the other day with a can of compressed air. Now it thinks its a laptop. It shows the Power icon in the task tray (at 100%) and it started going into sleep mode and turning off the monitor after 15 mins, per the laptop Power settings. Anyone know what I did to make this happen? My system is listed in my profile. Thanks!

You should be able to go into the power management settings and just disable the monitor off timing, or at least increase it to something more reasonable. As far as it thinking it's a laptop, I've got no clue...

Wow, that's a strange one?

If you're on Windows, it could be bad sectors on the harddrive so you could try running the disk-check tool to see if it picks up on anything.

This must be the strangest problem I have run into.

My guess is you changed something before rebooting, because there is no way some air will make such changes. If you did damage something, the computer would return errors or not work at all...

That is strange indeed. My guess would be that something got partially unseated from the dust job.

I was thinking jumpers and switches but I don't think modern motherboards have that feature anymore so I'll ask, Do you have jumpers on that board?

That is strange indeed. My guess would be that something got partially unseated from the dust job.

I was thinking jumpers and switches but I don't think modern motherboards have that feature anymore so I'll ask, Do you have jumpers on that board?

The MB is only about 2 years old, and I seem to recall a couple of jumpers on it. That said, in all my 22 years of PC building I don't recall there ever being a jumper that tells a MB its in a laptop, and not a desktop. However, it is a good place to start, so I'll open it up tomorrow and get into the manual to see if maybe I dislodged a jumper, or perhaps a switch of some kind.

When I posted this I was hoping someone else might respond and say: "Oh yeah. That happened to me one time too"; and thereby save me some investigating. :) I am retired now, and decided to retire from PC building this year also; don't want to keep up with the tech anymore. My most recent acquisition was a gaming PC from Xidax. What a great machine!

Back
Top Bottom