Tablet used as GPS?

Yes you can. However, since it's wifi only, you won't have good results using Google Maps since that app relies on an internet connection to constantly download map data as you drive. You need an app that stores the map data on the device such as CoPilot. You will probably want a microSD card for that tablet because the map data requires storage space (for instance map data for the US requires about 2GB).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer&hl=en

excellent advice as usalle

I have more external storeage 32gb. remember main use of this tablet is for my boats navigation/depth finder.

I'm not sure how much storage is consummed w/ me adding my favorite cruising spots.

is this app a paid app?

thanks STB

CoPilot has paid and free version. The free version allows you to create routes and follow the directions, the paid version does turn-by-turn navigation announcements such as, "In 2 miles, take exit 27B...".

I have DL GPS to my andriod6 tablet and have the desktop icon.

I have DL GPS to my laptop and don't see the Icon, I look in downlownloads and don't see GPS? when I look at google play my apps it is there along w/ WAZ. and all the other apps I DL previousley.

my tablet is andriod6 my LT is windows7 can google play differincheate between the two OS? just before install I choose device presto/presto.
No carrier Presto Presto
No carrier Roco TS-M103B both are checked.

google play says installed why is there no Icon?

when I look at programs/accessaries no GPS

edit will try out the GPS tablet tommorow from outside.

I have been adviced from Garmin to never turn on my automobile GPS unit
inside a house the roof will obstruct the line of sight of the receiver and will confuse it result endless searching thus ruined my Garmin that even a reset won't resolve.
STB

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "DL GPS" to your tablet. The tablet already has the GPS hardware built into it. Are you saying you're trying to download a navigation app? If so, which app are you trying to download and install?

On Android, all of your apps will show in the App Drawer, there's generally an icon on the Home screen you can click that will open the App Drawer and show you all the apps you have installed on the device.

That stuff about not using a GPS indoors or it will ruin it is totally bogus and complete nonsense. While it's true that a gps receiver used indoors may not be able to obtain a fix and will search continuously, it certainly will not damage the receiver.

I have used various gps receivers indoors (including several Garmin units that I have owned) and sometimes coud get a fix and other times I couldn't but no damage occurred to the receiver.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "DL GPS" to your tablet. r.
rephrase download the GPS apps. to tablet

I was able to download 3 apps
GPS navigation
Sygic
Sygic car navigation

GPS route finder?

from GPS navigation I was able to DL map of Alabama, attempted unsucsesfully multi times to download Florida progress plainly stopped at like 20%. then message you have no maps yet. 8.4GB free so I deleted AL still can't DL Florida Tablet is unresponsive even after reboot.

did insert 32gb mirco sd storeage not sure of where apps are saved to.

I'm thinking my lap top didn't take the down load because it doesn't have GPS hardware?

just starting off w/ andriod6 I think it's very weak OS compared to windows.
STB

Last edited:
I would suspect the tablet itself is the issue, not the OS. I have no issues downloading apps or data to my Samsung tablet. Also, which app were you downloading the map data for? Maybe the server with the map data was having issues.

Typically, you can't save apps to the micro SD card in a tablet but you can put all your data (such as your downloaded map data) on the card. The GPS app you are using should allow you to specify whether you want the map data stored on the internal memory or the SD card.

I only recommend two apps for GPS. Google Maps, and Here WeGo. Both free and both excellent. Here WeGo is better for navigation required when you don't have an internet connection.

The iPad Mini with Cellular has a GPS tracker which I recommend. I use this for airborne navigation when I go flying so I know the GPS receiver is excellent. The iPad without cellular does not have a GPS receiver unfortunately! :)

Back
Top Bottom