Password unknown

aktracy

Beta member
I inherited my daughters computer after she passed in April. She didn't leave any information on passwords so I am unable to get into her computer. I am not so interested in what she has on the computer, but would like to use the computer .
Its a Toshiba Laptop that runs on 8.1 I do know that she downloaded windows 10 about a year ago. I have the "Quick Start" booklet that came with the computer but nothing else. I can't get past the request for a password to do anything but shut it down.

What I would like to do is wipe it clean and start back to square one with windows 8. Does anyone know if this is even possible or is this computer trash at this point.

Just to add to the above ^^ , Also after you put Windows 10 onto the USB stick using Rufus.

You will need to boot into the bios screen and change the boot order, so that the computer will boot to the USB and not the hard drive.

Just to add to the above ^^ , Also after you put Windows 10 onto the USB stick using Rufus.

You will need to boot into the bios screen and change the boot order, so that the computer will boot to the USB and not the hard drive.

That's right. For example:

gSuND.jpg

You would have to press F12 on that computer. Yours is probably different, but the same method applies:

• You turn the computer on
  • You wait till the boot screen appears
  • You press the key
  • Select the bootable drive
  • Follow Windows installer
  • Done.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Doesn't have to be Windows 10, the method works with any OS. You can download other Windows' .iso files here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

You don't have to use Rufus, you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Saves time if you ask me because it downloads the iSO for you and then puts it on the stick, ready to use.

You don't have to use Rufus, you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Saves time if you ask me because it downloads the iSO for you and then puts it on the stick, ready to use.
Yeah but then you loose the .iso file. I prefer to keep it just in case.

Yeah but then you loose the .iso file. I prefer to keep it just in case.
Good point there, actually. Plus sometimes the tool gets stuck for ages on verification of the ISO/created image and that can be a pain, although it does certify that you have a working copy.

Good point there, actually. Plus sometimes the tool gets stuck for ages on verification of the ISO/created image and that can be a pain, although it does certify that you have a working copy.
If you just download the .iso it checks anyways. So if it gets stuck there is no way around it. It never got stuck for me though. I hope it's not a common problem.

Thank you for all the help, BUT I can't get past the password screen.:confused:
I boot it up and have a screen asking for a password. I don't have the password to get further.
Is there something I am not understanding?

Thank you for all the help, BUT I can't get past the password screen.:confused:
I boot it up and have a screen asking for a password. I don't have the password to get further.
Is there something I am not understanding?
You should use another computer to create the bootable USB. Do you have one?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom