Surge protectors / protecting my investment

frldyz

In Runtime
Spent a lot of $ on my build. Has not been put together yet. But in the coming weeks I will get it done.

I didn't have a budget in mind when I started. But if I did I WAY exceeded it.

What's the best way to protect my computers ( 2 ), and all my monitors & TV?

Surge protectors work by stopping X electricity from reaching your device? Preventing failure? Is a surge protector all I need / want?

Assuming I need 8-10 outlets. And I have 2 separate wall outlets to work with 6' apart from each other. What's the best way to do this? 1 massive 8-10 outlet surge protector? The amount of protection from a surge protector is measured in joules right? The more joules the better? What would be a good amount of joules?

And does anyone have any brand/model recommendations?

Thank you

First thing to do is make sure the ground pin on the outlets are connected and low resistance. Check the grounding rod outside for corrosion at the ground clamp. Surge suppressors don't work unless they have a good ground to divert the surge to.

I have been a long time APC UPS user. For my toys I use the 750 with 8 outlets. Buy APC Power Saving Back-UPS 750 - Technical Specifications and Information | APC They're not expensive compared to what they do. There is cheaper stuff out there but you get what you pay for.

Check office supply stores for the best prices. Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, places like that.

A UPS is different than a surge protector in that it also provides battery backup during a power failure or brownout. If surge protection is your main/only concern then you could save money by simply buying a surge protector without the UPS capabilities.

I think a dedicated surge protector could do a better job than a UPS at protection since that's it's main purpose. However, it depends on how much you spend, a low end surge protector probably won't offer any better protection.

Last edited:
He stated one of the devices to be plugged in is his computer. Power loss crashes are hard on a computer's hard drives. A UPS allows you to shut down the computer rather than have it crash. On some UPS you can install software that comes with the UPS to allow it to tell the computer to shut down.
You set the bios so when the computer shuts down it stays down until you push the button.

He stated one of the devices to be plugged in is his computer. Power loss crashes are hard on a computer's hard drives. A UPS allows you to shut down the computer rather than have it crash. On some UPS you can install software that comes with the UPS to allow it to tell the computer to shut down.
You set the bios so when the computer shuts down it stays down until you push the button.

Wow that sounds great! Do you know which UPS does that? And how hard it is to set up?

They linked above. Click that link to visit a site that sells the good ones. You can decide for yourself where you want to buy them.

I just purchased me two APC BE750G UPS battery backup units for use with items such as ordinary lamps, radios, and computer speakers. I read reviews on this back up and supposed to have a long time power source when power goes out.

Maximum Voltage-Amps 750

Neither comes with its battery. Any suggestions on reliable batteries for these puppies?

Last edited:
I don't know if you know this, I'll say it just in case.

Ground yourself before touching any of the components. And don't build your computer over a carpet or something similar, although I guess it doesn't matter if you are grounded, but just in case.

I don't know if you know this, I'll say it just in case.

Ground yourself before touching any of the components. And don't build your computer over a carpet or something similar, although I guess it doesn't matter if you are grounded, but just in case.
Always good advice.
Being cautious can save your life.

Back
Top Bottom