Your Best Secondhand PC Finds

The ThinkPad's I got, upgrading the hard drive is easy and effortless, you just take a screw out holding a cover on the side and the hard drive just slides out.

Yep i have a friend who works for a aftermarket store that gets company used stuff and my friend took things home for .. whatever. I had a dell at the time had a pentium 4 and i think it had ddr1 512mb ram in it. It went the way of the ghost so together we came up with all new(to me) and a tower that i still have. The power supply and tower are all i have of that system.Maybe a couple of sticks of ram too. I upped it to four gigs this year All used but i was so proud that i could put it together for nothing. funny how good a computer you can build out of nothing but junk!

Went up to the tip shop today to look for a case to put another system together in. I ended up coming out with a Dell Optiplex 745. Has no HDD but 2GB of DDR2 ram.

when I was at university, we often raided skips outside the computing center, and found a few machine that way.

(entirely FOC obviously)

A few years ago the company that I work for moved offices, lots of the accumulated junk was going for free, I picked up an old (tower based) dell power edge server. for free... and a free laptop...

Mostly now though I find that I seem to ascribe value to PCs when they just don't have it.
I have my main machine (laptop) and I've got a machine running hyper-v with a few VMs on it for a test environment.
after that a couple of raspberry pis is all I need.

I still have really old machines just sitting waiting to be powered back on in case I need to recover data though, (not that I'd remember the password even if I did turn them back on!)

I consider anything that is Core 2 Duo up as still good/valuable. Still make great everyday machines for basic tasks.

Picked up one of these:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-6ZxxKe8c

for free from work, as it had no power adapter and i happened to have a compatible one at home from when i had a similar monitor previously that was damaged whilst moving.

Also picked up an ASUS GTX660 Ti for £50 and have overclocked the living hell out of it and it runs the only game i really play at the moment (WoW) seamlessly.

Very nice Dark. :thumb:

I have an Asus 23" IPS monitor that's just fantastic like you're about to find out with yours.

I consider anything that is Core 2 Duo up as still good/valuable. Still make great everyday machines for basic tasks.
I used to think the same thing and had those types of machines laying around collecting dust, ended up giving them all away. Nowadays, I don't bother with anything less than an i3.

I am trying to cut back, myself: too much stuff, no time to do anything with any of it.

With the new job, I will have an excess of tools, so I will likely be having a yard sale and selling off a lot.

The rest will be donated.

Back
Top Bottom