My boss hacked into a whistleblowers email acct now on front of computer??

Hello

I joined to ask this question. Thank you ahead of time if anyone can help me or give me advice. An employee was fired about a week ago.

My guess is she logged into her personal email from work. I read her emails loading on the front of our work computer and see some complaints she sent up the chain of command via email.

This work computer is pretty regulated. It doesn't show me any settings to change so I can somehow change her password. Then tell her I did it later, I know she won't mind as there is just spam on it anyhow (and give her the p/w)

I would like to know how they are loading on the computer when this co-worker barely knows computers. No way did she set this up.

So how can I somehow change the password to her email so my boss doesn't keep spying on her??

Thanks to anyone who might know what is happening.

Last edited:
so i found a settings button and hit it. It reads Microsoft exchange and has her name and email address. This is so sad and unfair, she was fired now they are going into her email.

She was a great co-worker yet possessed very little tact or social skills.

Last edited:
Anything you do using company property belongs to the company, unfortunately.
She needs to make a new email account for her private mail and let people know it has changed.

Thanks so much.

so just updating her personal email password won't probably do any good huh? these will still be loading on the computer.

I'll keep googling about microsoft exchange. It would be nice to update her personal email password at work so my boss or anyone who tries it again, won't be able to keep getting access to her personal email acct. She no longer works here.

Last edited:
The Exchange server is the corporate email server. If she sent personal emails on a company server through a corporate account, those emails belong to the company. As Tech said above, they own it. Your boss, being an agent of the company, has every right to inspect, even if it's unethical in motivation.

Anything you now try to do to prevent your employer from accessing employee email will certainly be against employee guidelines and is illegal in many places.

If she can't access that email from somewhere other than work, it's not her personal email.

Last edited:
well they somehow got into her facebook too.

No doubt there will be revenge on these accounts very soon

She has issues, no doubt, but means well so does the right thing as most of us do not. Otherwise we'd loose our jobs. So her facebook is very important to her.
Thank you both so much for your assistance

Last edited:
For the Record, we are not provided any emails for work. We do not need to email while at work, only off work when we need to discuss work with our bosses off shift. Not on shift.

This is her private yahoo email. And when you click on the facebook emails like I did, you are automatically logged into her facebook acct.

I am only guessing she actually logged into her email account from the work computer. Honestly, that would be the best situation but it wouldn't surprise me if she never did. The front page is our login, you have to try to find the browser and it is forbidden to use. She is so low functioning regarding computers I am aware it is likely she's NEVER logged into her email at all.

Yes it could be pretty advanced what is going on

so somehow they hacked into her yahoo email. They are loading her yahoo emails into their microsoft exchange. I think they set it up that way after she left.

I am sure this must be illegal, hence why I've always brought my computer to work but it wouldn't surprise me if they broke into my yahoo account also. I use their internet provider but not their personal computer provided to us except tonight. When my computer froze up. And it first said "restricted" but I kept on tring to find the screen we login with. It's been so long since I've used a work computer.

Every email from her private email acct is being loaded onto microsoft exchange in order to read what is going on. She is so boring though it makes it difficult for them to pull pranks on her.

Last edited:
it is illegal, (in pretty much every developed country)
for your employers, past, present or future, to read your personal emails that are delivered to private, not work accounts.

it is also illegal for them to logon to your facebook accounts to see what you are doing in your personal life.

note this is different from looking what you publicly put on your wall for the world to see, and it is different from sending and receiving emails on a company mail server.

it could be that she setup a mail forwarder to have emails delivered to her work account, and that is how these got onto the company server?

though that sounds unlikely as you're saying she never had a company email address?

if it is the case that she has had her email account genuinely hacked, and your work are constantly surveillance her, reading her emails, and reading her posts on facebook. and more than that they are using that data to plan pranks and tricks on her. Then you should simply report that to the police.

Tell her to call a lawyer. If all you are saying is true then it would be a gold mine for a lawyer.

I'm confused. Why can't she just use her computer at home to change her yahoo password? Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom