Is This PSU Compatible With This Motherboard?

Huh...

400W for the cards, 150W for the 8350 (overclocked), 50W the motherboard, plus RAM, drives, fans... That should be around 700W... I think you can get away with a 800W-850W PSU. Getting a higher quality, lower wattage PSU is the best choice, if you agree that it would be enough.

I was reading various websites, reviews and even user experiences that they say the cards together can easily want between 600-800W.

Either way, if it is an overkill.. like I say, it's an investment really for any future build I may upgrade to as it should be ample power for a single high end graphics card!

I was reading various websites, reviews and even user experiences that they say the cards together can easily want between 600-800W.

Either way, if it is an overkill.. like I say, it's an investment really for any future build I may upgrade to as it should be ample power for a single high end graphics card!
800w for just the cards? That's ridiculous. 600w is more realistic. Peak values could be a little under 300w... I'm not sure honestly. What kind of monitor do you have?

800w for just the cards? That's ridiculous. 600w is more realistic. Peak values could be a little under 300w... I'm not sure honestly. What kind of monitor do you have?

It's a 26" Samsung.. but hey.. I can do power readings and let you know! Just going by what else has been said. But like I say.. it's kind of future proof anyway :)

It's a 26" Samsung.. but hey.. I can do power readings and let you know! Just going by what else has been said. But like I say.. it's kind of future proof anyway :)
Not really. If you ever change those GPUs , you are probably not going to get two, and certainly not something that uses that much power.

When I asked about the monitor I meant resolution. Is it 1080p? 4k?

Actually I may very well get 2.. or perhaps even 3, who knows? Maybe I'll get 2 x 4k monitors. I like the fact it provides ample room for a wide variety of upgrades. I'd prefer to spend the initial money now and have the room.. as opposed to getting an 800w and then finding out I get 2 much great Gpu's down plus more and find I would require more power. I realise it may be more than enough now.. but it's future proof.

If you do get another GPU, you should sell the 290s and get something newer. Adding more would not be smart. Too much heat and power, for not a lot of improvement. Most games can't even use 2 cards.

If you do get another GPU, you should sell the 290s and get something newer. Adding more would not be smart. Too much heat and power, for not a lot of improvement. Most games can't even use 2 cards.

Noted. I would indeed sell them both!

Appreciate all the feedback however, many thanks.

Ooft honestly if you're planning on running dual cards (especially dual older AMD cards!) I'd recommend a strong 80PLUS Gold or better PSU with a minimum of 800W. I'd probably in this case go with the one you originally linked, like you say it'll do you proud for a while even if you decide to pick up dual Titans and a 6950X sometime... :lol:

Ooft honestly if you're planning on running dual cards (especially dual older AMD cards!) I'd recommend a strong 80PLUS Gold or better PSU with a minimum of 800W. I'd probably in this case go with the one you originally linked, like you say it'll do you proud for a while even if you decide to pick up dual Titans and a 6950X sometime... :lol:

That's my thinking. I need a PSU upgrade for sure, why not go with one with 10 year warranty which has space for further upgrades (which is likely).. I actually settled on a Corsair 1000W Platinum in the end.. :whistling:

This PSU is for the purposes of fulfilling my current setup with an easy fit in to my next set up essentially!

What I would like to point out, that you seem to be ignoring, is that newer components don't necessarily mean more power. On the contrary. If you look at Intel CPUs, they have done nothing but reduce the power consumption and increase the performance.

Back
Top Bottom