Random Chit Chat

Cost SG not coast. Coast is where the sea and the land meet, also known as shoreline.

_Free English lesson provided by Professor Celery. :D

_Free English lesson provided by Professor Celery. :D

Quote attribution should utilize a quotation dash (U+2015) rather than an underscore. An em dash can also be viewed as acceptable. In absence of either, a double hyphen (--), viewed as analogous to an em dash, is also appropriate in informal contexts

―Free English lesson provided by Foothead

I jest, of course. Everybody knows what you mean.

—————————————————————————

Now, for a change of subject, here is an interesting quote which I wish to discuss:

"Pleasure is never as pleasant as we expected it to be and pain is always more painful. The pain in the world always outweighs the pleasure. If you don't believe it, compare the respective feelings of two animals, one of which is eating the other."

―Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited:
"Pleasure is never as pleasant as we expected it to be and pain is always more painful. The pain in the world always outweighs the pleasure.

I believe pleasure is not as pleasant as we expect because we expect too much.

If you don't believe it, compare the respective feelings of two animals, one of which is eating the other."

That's weird, how can he measure how much a cheetah likes to eat a gazelle?

I believe pleasure is not as pleasant as we expect because we expect too much.

It is my belief that what we refer to as "pleasure" does not truly exist as a distinct concept, but, rather, as a mitigation of suffering, or "displeasure."

That's weird, how can he measure how much a cheetah likes to eat a gazelle?
The example was, of course, meant to be metaphorical; however, the pleasure of a cheetah eating a gazelle can, at least in part, be measured by the pleasure of a human eating a hamburger. Our brains share distinct similarities, after all—particularly when it comes to low-level instincts such as acquisition of sustenance. While the cheetah's meal temporarily satisfies a biological desire, the gazelle is subjected to an unimaginable level of suffering in order to satisfy this—its only reprieve being eventual death.

Last edited:
To add—Were the cheetah to experience a reciprocity of the pain inflicted upon the gazelle, it would likely make the decision to starve to death instead. However, cheetahs lack the ability to experience this and, thus, continue inflicting suffering without any care for the effects of their actions.

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Does it taste like a hamburger?

There is only one way to find out: https://www.kayak.com/flight-routes/United-States-US0/Africa-AF0

Last edited:
It is my belief that what we refer to as "pleasure" does not truly exist as a distinct concept, but, rather, as a mitigation of suffering, or "displeasure."

Not sure I can answer that. I think there is some sort of neutral state, where you are not pleased or displeaced, but I don't think I can prove it.

To add—Were the cheetah to experience a reciprocity of the pain inflicted upon the gazelle, it would likely make the decision to starve to death instead. However, cheetahs lack the ability to experience this and, thus, continue inflicting suffering without any care for the effects of their actions.

I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcFJRymHNaI

Back
Top Bottom