Clarification of Google iframe

foothead

Omnicide now.
I recently noticed that this website seems to be wrapped in a Google iframe. Can the admins clarify to what extent this is used?

I am particularly concerned by its presence in the private messaging section. I certainly do not want Google to be aggregating conversations which I was under the impression were not public.

Attachments

• Screenshot-7.jpg
    Screenshot-7.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 15
If you use the Internet on a public site your writing is public.
An IFrame (Inline Frame) is an HTML document embedded inside another HTML document on a website. The IFrame HTML element is often used to insert content from another source, such as an advertisement, into a Web page.
I use them a lot on sites I build because it makes it easy to plug in new data without redoing the layout of the page.

Last edited:
This is also why I think the that the private messages section of the site needs to be secured by HTTPS to prevent any eavesdropping. The whole site should be HTTPS by default instead of being lazy and not fixing scripts.

If you use the Internet on a public site your writing is public

Absolutely. Iframes have many uses. I am simply asking for clarification here, as I have, on multiple occasions, seen them used as a means to glean otherwise-private information (hence my mentioning of it showing up in the PM composition section.)

My knowledge of web developing is limited. It's simply a question for the admins, not an accusation.

Last edited:
Anything done over the Internet should be assumed to be public. Email, browsing,messaging, etc. is all open to interception and inspection.

This is also why I think the that the private messages section of the site needs to be secured by HTTPS to prevent any eavesdropping. The whole site should be HTTPS by default instead of being lazy and not fixing scripts.

The sheer level of brokenness when drafting replyies is astounding. It you don't beleive me, type something in italics, save your post, then attempt to add a subequent word. It will also be rendered in italics. All special fonts seem to share this "feature."

We are most definitely in need some of some minor debugging.

Edit: One more thing: Multiple breaks do not render in lynx browser. Anyone know what's up with that?

Last edited:
Anything done over the Internet should be assumed to be public. Email, browsing,messaging, etc. is all open to interception and inspection.

There is a large differece between interception and scripting a site with a built-in backdoor to access supposedly-private messages.

I'm nowhere near stupid enough to expect my PMs on computerforum to be uncrackable. Having them simply handed away, on the other hand, is something which would bother me.

But, once again, this is a case where admin sould clarify before we jump to any conclusions.

Last edited:
There is a large differece between interception and scripting a site with a built-in backdoor to access supposedly-private messages.

I'm nowhere near stupid enough to expect my PMs on computerforum to be uncrackable. Having them simply handed away, on the other hand, is something which would bother me.

But, once again, this is a case where admin sould clarify before we jump to any conclusions.
I can understand why that would be... Strange, but how sensitive can be the information you send through PMs in a recreational forum?

The Admins will likely need to clarify, but from my own experience, this is for the purpose of Google Analytics. As a web master, giving Google access to your page gives you all kinds of pretty and neat readouts on visitors.

I would assume that the Google iFrame is set at the master view level and so it "doesn't care" specifically about the PM page, the PM page inherits the master view.

I wouldn't doubt that Google is probably taking more than they should, but wouldn't think too much beyond that. For someone to get at your PM's would still fall into the eavesdropping category... e.g. I doubt they're getting a print out of everyone's PM's. And if they are... well.... I'm making a second account and sending it dick pics :D

Back
Top Bottom