Colors??

That works! Some might say put the optical before the data drive, or external, but that's all up to you. As long as your primary hard drive is on 0/1, you're good.

Considering amount of use (data vs. optical), your above proposal is probably best.

Yep, Thanks, I was thinking it maybe had to do with the speed or something like that. I know the newer one are 600mbps i think i got it right. I know that the old board i have is 100mbps i think, not sure. I also saw some 300mbps i think. older boards. Was just thinking that the colors may have had something to do with it. Now that i know, I can get on with the search, Thanks again, Wd65

Yes, you can buy any cable type in any color you like. A lot of modders use the colors they build their systems in for accent.

..... Where do you find this blatantly wrong information?

The port numbers don't matter all that much, but they do matter. It has to do with many an engineering and technological function. The lower the port, the higher in IRQ list that device becomes. Should your HDD be able to interrupt your Optical drive or the other way around? Which should have priority access to the north bridge controller?

LOL Most people know it, if you are still unsure:
link
link
link

If you want to see more, just google it yourself, it's widely available information.:rofl:

I think I see the problem. You asked about the terminals, the terminal is the end piece of the wire that connects to the port. I think you may have been asking about the port colors and asked about terminal colors by mistake.
The manufacturer selects the port colors and will generally group them based on what controller they go through, Intel Raid controller, Marvell raid controller, etc.
There is NO standardized color code system for the ports, it is up to the manufacturer.

LOL Most people know it, if you are still unsure:
link
link
link

If you want to see more, just google it yourself, it's widely available information.:rofl:
..... Where do you find this blatantly wrong information?

The port numbers don't matter all that much, but they do matter. It has to do with many an engineering and technological function. The lower the port, the higher in IRQ list that device becomes. Should your HDD be able to interrupt your Optical drive or the other way around? Which should have priority access to the north bridge controller?

Is your reading comprehension actually this poor?

Edit: Looks like you eventually figured it out. That's what I get for not refreshing the page before replying.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:LOL yeah, when a person says terminal, I naturally assume they are talking about a terminal. Imagine that.

Definition of terminal:

Electricity.
  1. the mechanical device by means of which an electric connection to an apparatus is established.
  2. the point of current entry to, or point of current departure from, any conducting component in an electric circuit.
I can sort of see how the initial post could be misinterpreted, though the fact that he mentioned terminals on a motherboard should have been enough. The comment you were replying to, on the other hand, was blatantly obvious. Furthermore, had you continued reading the thread instead of immediately trying to be argumentative, OP's responses would have made readily apparent that iPwn's interpretation was the correct one.

Last edited:
There is NO standardized color code system for the ports, it is up to the manufacturer.

That's important. Just read the manufacturer's manual and you'll find what you need. Sometimes you can even find the information just by looking at the motherboard's website. Example:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/

Scroll down and you can find useful information about the ports and the rest of the components.

That's important. Just read the manufacturer's manual and you'll find what you need. Sometimes you can even find the information just by looking at the motherboard's website. Example:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/

Scroll down and you can find useful information about the ports and the rest of the components.

Yep exactly the manual will tell you what the colored ports do and it makes it easy to tell which ones to plug into of course they're also numbered sequentially so you don't really have to read the tiny numbers printed on them you just have to be able to count and remember that computers begin counting with zero.

Doesn't terminal mean a huge building travelers gather in to fan out to their flights?

Ah, colors could be used for anything here. Sometimes they even indicate using a specific controller. I remember seeing sata ports in blue to indicate using an extra sata controller that allowed more ports than what the mobo could handle by default and they were bandwidth capped if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom