Whats your Hobby?

That is a really nice bike Foothead, and I would post a pic of my bike but I don't have a digital camera. I sold it to my nephew cuz I needed the cash and My phone doesn't have a camera on it..lol

I have one of those small cheap phones lol. I don't really need a new phone because I hardly talk to people tbh .

I fully understand. I'm still using a Motorola RAZR and have no intention of "upgrading" any time soon. My monthly phone bill tends to be on the order of $2.

EDIT: Also, it's only a $30 dollar bike I picked up at a garage sale.
I appreciate all bikes. Or rather, I appreciate all bikes except those hideous crabon monstrosities which seem to be designed for the sole purpose of advertising the brand that "designed" it.

My secondary bike is this abomination:

Y1qMZ5G.jpg

I don't care that it's "shitty." It fits me, it's mechanically sound, and it's practical. What more can you ask for?

(By the way, I intentionally captured that Pinarello in the frame. It's so nice.)

Last edited:
Awe, That bike is so cute...Is that a fold up bike?

I never owned one, but they look like they would really be practical. :)

It is. I purchased it in New York City after the bus line lost my coupled-frame bike. It is quite practical, in that I can carry it onto streetcars and buses which are not equipped with bicycle racks.

The rando bar, basket, and dynamo lighting system were my additions, of course.

Last edited:
Actually, internal gear hubs were among the first forms of multiple-gear systems for bicycles. Derailleurs, as we know them, were a much later invention and mostly became prevalent due to the strong influence of bicycle racing (mechanical losses are slightly greater in IGH systems, not to mention the weight penalty.)

My friend's randonneuring bike has a 14-speed Rohloff internal gear hub. I think it's absolutely incredible, but as with most internal gear hubs, the slight mechanical imperfections do bother me. It is for this reason that I opted for a derailleur system on my bicycle. For pretty much anybody else (except racers,) I will concur that internal gearing is a far superior solution (and I even do have it on my folding bicycle.)

The one problem which still seems to plague most IGH models is, unfortunately, reliability. This is of relatively little concern for "normal" users; however, for bicycle tourists such as myself and my friend, the only hub currently known to be able to withstand tour loads reliably is the Rohloff. Were one to gear a Nexus or Alfine hub to touring standards, fully load the bike, then attempt to climb a mountain with it, the likelihood of an eventual failure would be significant (and there are user reports to back this up.)

Yes. Rohloff is the brand name. I meant our older bikes, not old time bikes, those were single speed only.
We do long rides of several days at a time as well as shorter jaunts to the park or to get some pizza in old town.

Yes. Rohloff is the brand name.

You must be mistaken. Rohloff's singular IGH product is the 14-speed Speedhub. An 8-speed hub would be manufactured by Shimano, Sturmey Archer, or Sachs-SRAM.

I meant our older bikes, not old time bikes, those were single speed only.
This depends on how you define "old time." Internal gear hubs have been in existence for more than one hundred years. The safety bicycle is not all that much older. Even before the invention of IGH systems, there were novel approaches at multiple-gear systems. The one which particularly sticks out to me is a system which involved two counter-directional freewheels and a complex chain pattern, resulting in a lower gear being activated by pedalling in reverse.

We do long rides of several days at a time as well as shorter jaunts to the park or to get some pizza in old town.
You do bicycle touring? It's so rare to find someone else who is interested in this hobby. What is your typical approach? Self-supported?

I often thought of getting a mountain bike with one of those small trailers that can haul the tent and other supplys need for long term camping. Would use it on the Appalachian mountains. Smokey mountains and blue ridge included. Another range is the pacific trail. Both cut the country in half so to speak.

I often thought of getting a mountain bike with one of those small trailers that can haul the tent and other supplys need for long term camping. Would use it on the Appalachian mountains. Smokey mountains and blue ridge included. Another range is the pacific trail. Both cut the country in half so to speak.

Trailers are best left to moving bulky items. Whenever possible, panniers are the preferred alternative.

For what it's worth, my setup looks like this:

r7QZCLJ.jpg

That image includes a full set of camping gear, a boat (actually, there are technically two boats in the image,) and five days' supplies. Even with all of that, the usage of front panniers was not required. If you actually feel the need to use a trailer, you are bringing far too much.

Last edited:
food, water and meds are part of that. tent, sleeping bag, mattress, cook stove, cloths extra shoes, weather radio/ cb for emergencys. if it was just walking without the bike i could put it on one rack. on a bike not sure if it could handle my weight and back pack too. I weight 240 by myself so as most bike are designed for no more than 250 pds, the trailer comes in to play.

In that case, have you considered a recumbent?

For what it's worth, I carry everything you listed, with the exception of the CB radio.

Also, there are plenty of upright bikes designed for users above 250 pounds. Any steel touring bike with properly-built (NOT machine-built) 36-spoke wheels should be adequate.

Back
Top Bottom