How do HDMI Dongles work?

Jahzara

Baseband Member
Was wondering if anyone can explain to me how you control an HDMI dongle for a tv? Doesn't make sense to me. Does the remote for your tv control?? Wanting to turn my tv into a smart tv with it.

Effectively your TV just becomes a dumb screen, the television does nothing except display what is input from the HDMI dongle. The TV will be set to "HDMI" input, just as if you'd connected a Bluray player etc.

The HDMI dongle comes with its own remote control which just controls the dongle. Volume control will likely still be on the television remote. If you want to view normal television again you just change the TV back to "TV" mode in the AV menu.

There is a protocol called HDMI-CEC that allows the TV remote to control HDMI devices. It's quite possible that the device you're looking at uses this.

Some older TVs do not support it, so make sure that yours does before purchasing anything that relies on it. Many manufacturers have their own names for the feature; for example, Samsung calls it "Anynet+"

Oh! It comes with its own remote!! That makes more sense now. Thank you both for that information.

Don't buy it.

That won't make your TV into a "smart TV." It's just a way of mirroring your phone or tablet onto your TV.
Get yourself an Amazon Fire TV Stick or Roku Streaming Stick. Depending on what other services you use (Prime Video, Netflix etc) you'll have to check if the stick supports those apps.

So I got the Roku stick, per your suggestion. Tried it out tonight and am very satisfied with it. =]
Now I am just hoping I can access a wireless hard drive with it. Is it capable of that?

Didn't it come with a user manual?
If not, look on their website for one, the information will be contained therein.

So I got the Roku stick, per your suggestion. Tried it out tonight and am very satisfied with it. =]
Now I am just hoping I can access a wireless hard drive with it. Is it capable of that?

Glad you're happy with it.

I'm not sure about that to be honest. I don't own one myself but googling it seemed to indicate that it won't access a wireless drive.

A couple of ideas were shown on the net:
1. Set up a DLNA media server to "stream" your own content to the stick.
or (easier option)
2. Use another device (phone etc) that can access a wireless drive, and "cast" the video to the stick.

Back
Top Bottom