Random Chit Chat

That's quite understandable, Foothead. It is known that people do get frustrated sometimes when they hear suggestions they don't like. No worries. The keyword was "try". I personally do that and rarely go out at night unless I had to, and I do have to from time to time. For some reason night time is normally crazier than day time. Please know that what we suggested was because we care. Walking is normally safe where I live and stalking is typically unheard of, in either times of the day. For me driving is the issue and due to our crazy weather, walking is not fancied. I guess my cultural difference/personal preference is what made me give that suggestion. Sorry about that.

I heard 911 is quick in USA. Maybe having it on the speed dial is a good idea too. Perhaps keeping the GPS on helps.

@Tech.
It's okay man. Talking is a give and take. Giving tolerant advice is a good thing. We have a saying here that roughly translates to "leniency makes things beautiful". Take it easy ;)

If you want to know why someone else is doing something, you will have to ask them, not people on a forum that have no way of knowing why a person is doing something.

*Walks up to vehicle*
"Hello, random, creepy stranger who may or may not be stalking me. May I ask what your intentions are?"

I see no problem with this course of action.

That's quite understandable, Foothead. It is known that people do get frustrated sometimes when they hear suggestions they don't like. No worries. The keyword was "try". I personally do that and rarely go out at night unless I had to, and I do have to from time to time. For some reason night time is normally crazier than day time. Please know that what we suggested was because we care. Walking is normally safe where I live and stalking is typically unheard of, in either times of the day. For me driving is the issue and due to our crazy weather, walking is not fancied. I guess my cultural difference/personal preference is what made me give that suggestion. Sorry about that.

Don't worry about it. I sometimes forget that others don't necessarily think the way I do, which leads to outbursts such as that.

I heard 911 is quick in USA. Maybe having it on the speed dial is a good idea too. Perhaps keeping the GPS on helps.

Emergency response generally takes on the order of ten minutes within a suburban area, though this wildly varies based on municipality, location precision, time, call priority, and other factors.

This actually did make me think of something I'd never considered before: If I don't have the AAA password for my phone, does E911 still work correctly? I don't know how GPS data is transmitted in this case, and web searches don't seem to be helping.

@Tech.
It's okay man. Talking is a give and take. Giving tolerant advice is a good thing. We have a saying here that roughly translates to "leniency makes things beautiful". Take it easy ;)

To be fair, I am rather difficult to converse with. Even the most patient people tend to become extremely frustrated at times. It's something I'm trying to work on.

I honestly have no idea how GPS works on phones. But if it is tracking, GPS should be a logical answer. Maybe it is connected with the SIM card somehow to locate faster.
--------------
People are different and we all should expect any magnitude in individual differences. All we have to do is be considerate and understanding to have things go the best possible way. Trust, all kinds of people in normal cases can understand and be understood with the right behavior/demeanor/attitude.

I honestly have no idea how GPS works on phones. But if it is tracking, GPS should be a logical answer. Maybe it is connected with the SIM card somehow to locate faster.

The AAA password is a device-specific key required to enable data transmission over EVDO networks. It is usually assigned automatically by the carrier upon phone activation, but my phone, due to its age, failed to properly interpret the newer profile. Since this means that my phone completely lacks the ability to transmit data packages (rather than having this feature turned off by software,) whether emergency services could access GPS data is somewhat questionable.

People are different and we all should expect any magnitude in individual differences. All we have to do is be considerate and understanding to have things go the best possible way. Trust, all kinds of people in normal cases can understand and be understood with the right behavior/demeanor/attitude.
In psychology, this concept is referred to as "theory of mind." It is defined thusly:

the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, intentions, and perspectives that are different from one's own.
Unfortunately, this, along with attribution of emotional states (empathy,) has always been extremely difficult for me. I've learned to get by through significant amounts of observation, questioning, and applied logic, but it has never become anywhere close to intuitive, and I still completely fail at times.

Last edited:
*Walks up to vehicle*
"Hello, random, creepy stranger who may or may not be stalking me. May I ask what your intentions are?"

I see no problem with this course of action.

I didn't recommend you do that. I said it is the only way to answer your question.
I also said to use good judgement as to where you go and when.

It should also be noted that a weapon in untrained hands can be more dangerous to the person wielding it than the person it is used on.
Never carry any weapon you are not fully trained in using properly which includes target identification as well as being fully competent both mental and physically.
Never carry a lethal weapon if you are not prepared to take a life and willing to live with that for the rest of your life if you have to use the weapon.
Anyone can hold a knife, not every one is able to use it properly and few are capable of taking a life to save their own without a great deal of training and mental reprogramming. And many that can do that cannot cope with their actions afterwards.
I don't recommend you carry a weapon unless you are willing to spend months or even years training to use it properly.

The best way to be safe is to avoid potentially dangerous situations in the first place.

I didn't recommend you do that. I said it is the only way to answer your question.
I also said to use good judgement as to where you go and when.

Fair enough. My reason for asking is because, since I cannot ask the person directly, the next best thing is to ask for others' opinions on what the motivations may have been. Of course, I will never know for sure, but someone could potentially come up with a highly plausible explanation. If you read up one comment above yours, you will see why I feel the need to ask these questions.

It should also be noted that a weapon in untrained hands can be more dangerous to the person wielding it than the person it is used on.
Never carry any weapon you are not fully trained in using properly which includes target identification as well as being fully competent both mental and physically.
Never carry a lethal weapon if you are not prepared to take a life and willing to live with that for the rest of your life if you have to use the weapon.
Anyone can hold a knife, not every one is able to use it properly and few are capable of taking a life to save their own without a great deal of training and mental reprogramming. And many that can do that cannot cope with their actions afterwards.
I don't recommend you carry a weapon unless you are willing to spend months or even years training to use it properly.

I fully agree. Actually, in my case, the weapon would be more dangerous to the wielder regardless of level of training. Let's just say that carrying small pocketknives has led to a number of exceptionally awkward situations in the past.

The best way to be safe is to avoid potentially dangerous situations in the first place.
Naturally, but there is a point where the line has to be drawn. Going for a short walk around the block in an extremely low-crime neighbourhood should not be seen as a particularly risky activity, regardless of what time it is.

I've had times when I'm in town before work or walking to work from the bus and I've been randomly threatened/intimidated for no reason. This weird guy would randomly abuse people as he walked past when they would do nothing wrong.

Weirdos stalk pretty girls no matter the time of day.

Sadly, I fear that certain people have some kind of 'potential victim' aura that attracts predators; and one of my daughters carries it. Unfortunately, she is also a bit paranoid and tends to dramatize things so it's sometimes hard to tell whether a 'potential attacker' was just that or just some guy wanting to say hello to a pretty girl.

Said daughter is one of the last people into whoms hands I'd want to place a weapon.

@foothead, I'd recommend some self-defense classes at the very least. Hopefully you will never need to use the skills, but it's good exercise, builds confidence, and depending on the specific discipline, can introduce some additional grace into your movements and body carriage.

Actually, that's good advice for anyone, male or female, for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom