Android RAM usage

AMD_man

Fully Optimized
I've been on the lookout lately trying to change my Lumia 640 XL for something with Android. So far I've found a couple of promising cheap phones such as the Moto G4 Plus and the Moto X Play. Those seem like the beat deals overall. I really want to get the X, but the RAM is holding me back. The G4 has 4Gb and the X has only 2. I'm not familiar with Android, so the question is, do I need more than 2?

Thanks.

More RAM is always a nice plus. ;)

Most apps will not use anywhere near 2GB of RAM. Having more RAM really comes into play when the device is holding apps in memory. Once you start an app and then move away from it (launch another app, hit the home button, whatever) Android usually holds the app in memory so you can easily and quickly switch back to it. I say usually because this varies by device and by memory management settings. My Zenfone 2 was awesome about holding my apps for me (4GB), while my Axon 7 will eventually kill apps off due to its memory management (4GB).

Incidentally, check out the Zenfone 2. The price has came down a good bit and the Intel chip is still very robust. My wife took mine when I upgraded and plays lots of games on it. The developer community for it seems to be very active on xda-developers.

Also look at the ZTE Axon 7 Mini. Not really very mini at 5.2" but still very nice.

The Moto G5 and G5 Plus are out now. The G5 Plus is an Amazon Prime offer phone here in the US so it maybe the same in Germany.

More RAM is always a nice plus. ;)

Most apps will not use anywhere near 2GB of RAM. Having more RAM really comes into play when the device is holding apps in memory. Once you start an app and then move away from it (launch another app, hit the home button, whatever) Android usually holds the app in memory so you can easily and quickly switch back to it.

I was aware of that functionality. It is my understanding that Android (or at least some versions) are using all the RAM at all times, since they store your most used apps there so they launch faster.

The problem is, I use the phone like a 60 year old woman, so most times I would take a better camera over a faster CPU or GPU. Although the 16 megapixels from the G4 plus are not bad at all. I would buy the Zenfone right now if it wasn't because it doesn't support the LTE bands in my country (I'm not from Germany BTW, I just chose randomly when I created the account).

The X play has an awesome battery, awesome camera, but not that much RAM. It is good to know that no app will use it all (I thought so), but knowing how Android works, and how free RAM is never wasted, the G4 plus is very tempting.

Also I'm only seeing the 2Gb RAM version of the Moto G5 here (according to phonearena it has 3Gb?). And the Axon Mini is a bit out of my price range.

I gues I have to decide between the X play and G4 Plus.

By the way, is the Snapdragon 615 slower than the 617? The 617 has less frequency but I know that doesn´t mean much.

Thanks.

Buy a cheap phone and get a mirrorless DSLR camera the cameras on telephones are junk at best and if you want to take good pictures or even decent pictures you'll need a DSLR or better

Buy a cheap phone and get a mirrorless DSLR camera the cameras on telephones are junk at best and if you want to take good pictures or even decent pictures you'll need a DSLR or better

I actually have one of those. You know I think I'll just go for the G4. I never walk around with the DSLR but either way I don't think the difference will be that much between the G4 Plus and the X play. Thanks!

By the way is there anything you would recommend specifically? Around that price range? Thanks for the input!

I've got a Lenovo P2, camera isn't amazing but it has 4GB RAM, Octacore processor, 32GB storage etc. Battery life is also excellent with a 5100mah battery.

Yes I actually wanted to get that one (P2a42 or something right?), But it's not yet on sale here. Shame. Seems like the most efficient option.

Has anyone tried a Xiaomi? I've been looking at their hardware and it's pretty good for the price. I've used ported MIUI custom ROMs in the past but never had a Xiaomi.

The Redmi Note 3 really caught my eye.

Same here. It has the same price as the G4 plus and much better hardware. I actually already decided to get that one. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth to get the 3Gb version for another $75 :p

Back
Top Bottom