Video Card Question

nandro1

Solid State Member
I haven't used crossfire in quite some time, so my question is...
I have a XFX AMD R9 390. Would it be better to get another one and run it in crossfire or get a used GTX 980Ti Hybrid (Built in water cooling) for $300 and sell the AMD? Right now I'm running at 1080p on an Asus gaming monitor with Freesync but I hope to upgrade to 1440p soon.

I'd skip the water cooling and I'd jump past the 9xx series to the 10xx series. The 1080ti is a good card at a very good price. Chances are it will drop a bit more when the 2080 is released.
If a 980 is all you can afford right now, I'd wait and save a little more.

The water cooling came on the 980Ti Hybrid. I could do $300 for that. The 1080's are twice that. I guess I could save up and wait for a price drop. I just figured if I sold my 390 it wouldn't be much and I could swing that.

You won't get more than a couple bucks for an out of date gpu unfortunately. People want the latest tech when they buy computer components, not old stuff.

I have an 800W Antec PSU which shouldn't have a problem. My quandy is I have a friend who has 2 480's and is willing to take my 390 back for 150 and another 150 for the other card. He has someone who wants the 390 already so its not hurting him. If you look on newegg or ebay the 390's are selling for more then 150 and I'm not sure why. I would rather have the 980 but money is very tight as I am disabled and cannot afford to drop another 370 on a video card. I just got my Rig and did it within a certain budget. If I tried to save for a more expensive card the money would eventually go to something else as it usually does. I may however have a chance to sell the 390 to his friend and just put in the extra money for the 980. I hope that's the case.

Can I ask why do you want to upgrade that? The 390 is perfect for 1080p. Also, just in case, 390>480.

I had the chance to get the 480 and took the 390 for less money because the reviews did show it was equal or better in many tests. I guess your right. I'll wait till I get a better monitor.

It is. My friend who this 390 belonged to actually traded it to me. Not because he didn't know the 390 was faster but because he already had a matching 480 for crossfire. This is how my question came up... He will take back the 390, and I would just have to give him what he spent on the other 480 which he got used from someone so about 180, or sell it to someone who wants it for about 150 and get a used NV 980ti hybrid which is also nice. As was suggested what I will probably do is nothing and just save some money and wait. I don't need either. I just thought the 980 was nice being it over clocked very well, better then his Titan which I've tried because aside from video cards our rig's are the same and his monitor is better. So 8 guess he can use it fully.

Back
Top Bottom