Slave and Master sata drives how to?

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
I saw below that There was a issue with two ide drives and the pins needed to be changed so one was master and the other slave. How do you do that with sata drives?? I want to do the same thing with my 2 sata drives.

I want to say that the SATA drives depend on which port they are plugged into... it's been a while since I messed with them.

Ok, Just to be sure I plug my main hd into Sata 1. then my second into Sata2, right? I have 4 Sata connectors on the motherboard. Just want to make sure. Is there anything i need to do in Bios? Thanks!

That should be right. There are some boards that label the primary as SATA0.

There may also be some settings in BIOS/UEFI that would set priority

Well... That didn't go as planned! I went into bios and set the sata1 as master and the sata 2 as slave And then nothing!! I tried three times to get the computer to start. The fans all come on and i see the hdd light flickering but no video. Screen fails to come on. Took the other hdd out and restart and after a bit of hassle i was able to get the computer up and running but am missing sound and some of the programs opened weird the first time. no sound yet but will figure it out. don't know if i want to try that again or not. :confused:

Wow, that sucks.

I have messed myself up a few times rummaging around in my machine because some of those cables can pop loose pretty easily.

SATA drives don't use the concept of slave and master like IDE drives. That had to do with 2 drives sharing the same IDE channel. Each SATA drive has it's own channel so not necessary.

Well, I guess this thing won't play nice with two hard drives. I ended up replacing the driver package to get sound back. The auto config of the Acer manager keeps auto config for some reason. Video seems ok though. Didn't seem to slow the computer down so i think it did no major damage. Don't think i want to try that again. Could do some real damage if i do. Still don't know why it did that...:confused:

If you are installing a new drive, you need to initialize it in windows through the manage option when you right click the computer icon.
Go to storage devices and find the drive there and initialize it so it's recognized by the system then you can do the rest of the steps.

Back
Top Bottom