Windows did it

The one i am getting is a sata 10000 rpm hard drive, Not a hybrid or ssd. I am not to sure if the ssd would work on a sata 1 motherboard. I still run a older dinosaur mb. Debs is a newer i think second gen I-7 with something with 8 gigs of ram. This old computer is about as fast as hers with the 10 in it. go figure.... I still run a old athion 64X2 4800+ and thats a 2.5 gig. Running 6 gigs of ram and sata hard drive with w7 64 bit in it. Go figure. Some computers work better with 10 than others. Hers and mine are both Asus computers. Hers is two years old mine is ?? Anyway, i like my OLD computer! its fun doing things with it that i would have never done with XP! Dan

The laptop I'm on I picked up at a pawn shop for $240, and here it is 9 years later and still purring like a kitten. It's a HP DV-5....I don't care if it's old it's a really good lappy.

I built this computer the first since it went down. I did some work this year and got it up and running again. If it dies again, i may have to spend some bucks on all new hardware. The motherboard is a 2006 model that i got brand new around 3-4 years ago. Who knows it may last a few more years. the ram is around 3-4 years old. Psu is 3-4 and the original hd was 4+!! it has been used as a backup. Second drive i have had 2-3 years and its acting up. New drive going in will be main drive and the old drive will continue to be back-up. Old drive is a ide pata and is very old. I think i had it with the first mb i had. Can't remember how old it is now. Deb and i have gone through 5 laptops since 2005. two had xp two had vista and one had w7 on it. The new one she has is or was 8.1 and now 10. This old computer was used when i got it. Only other thing i need is a new tower for everything. This one is falling apart. Have no idea just how old it is. It looks like one of those old windows 98 pentium 1 style towers. Other than the hard drive the newest thing is the graphics card and a 12 in 1 card reader. the monitor is around 3-4 years old too. that and the speakers...... Like i said fun......

I don't think a iso version of 10 will update with out the pass code in it. I was going to just download it in to see how it would function in this computer.

What do you mean by this?

"I don't think a iso version of 10 will update with out the pass code in it"

I don't get it :)

I can download 10 into this computer but don't have a pass key for it. But i can use it to see if or how it works with the hardware in my computer. If it doesn,t work well, no big deal, but if it works well and is study then i can buy a passkey for ten. I will wait till i get the new harddrive to do it with. If it don't play nice then i can wipe drive and load w7 in it and transfer my programs to it. If 10 is ok, i will have the old copy to use some of my older programs with. I have two drives now and used to have xp and 7 in it. If this works then i will have duel boot 7 and 10.

I can download 10 into this computer but don't have a pass key for it. But i can use it to see if or how it works with the hardware in my computer. If it doesn,t work well, no big deal, but if it works well and is study then i can buy a passkey for ten. I will wait till i get the new harddrive to do it with. If it don't play nice then i can wipe drive and load w7 in it and transfer my programs to it. If 10 is ok, i will have the old copy to use some of my older programs with. I have two drives now and used to have xp and 7 in it. If this works then i will have duel boot 7 and 10.

At this moment, if you are using a genuine Win 7/8/8.1 license, you can still upgrade to Win 10 for free with a few tips. The license will transfer to Win 10 without having to purchase a new license of Win 10.

Also, there is an option to help you roll back to Win 7 in case you don't happen with Win 10, within 30 days. All the backup of Win 7 will be stored in the Windows.old folder and will be used to roll back in case you need.

So, don't need to wipe out the whole hard drive.

The laptop I'm on I picked up at a pawn shop for $240, and here it is 9 years later and still purring like a kitten. It's a HP DV-5....I don't care if it's old it's a really good lappy.

My wife has a DV-6 equally robust/ancient/still perfect working order (on windows 10).

At this moment, if you are using a genuine Win 7/8/8.1 license, you can still upgrade to Win 10 for free with a few tips. The license will transfer to Win 10 without having to purchase a new license of Win 10.

do you have a link to an article? - i bought a laptop around Christmas that came with windows 8.1 and would like a free upgrade. :)

OK i did what it said and after running the disc off i tried loading the disc for w10. It got to where it was downloading updates and it stopped there with the following: "error, compare exchange 128, PC Processor doesn't support a critical feature." ok wth?????:confused:
This is what i found at microsoft: compare exchange 128 issue

Windows 8.1 IT Pro > Windows 8.1 Hardware Compatibility
Question
Question
Sign in to vote
Sign in to vote
I am trying to install windows 8.1 or 10 preview with processor (Intel E8400 core2duo 3.0ghz) but an issue of compare exchange 128 exist.

I tried by downgrading with my old processor back to (Intel E4600 core2duo 2.4ghz) which i have in spare , it works.

Why it isn't working with E8400 processor which has much better specification than E4600.

:(

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:46 AM
Reply | Quote
KRISHNA NAIR0 Points
Answers
Question
Sign in to vote
Sign in to vote

Hello KRISHNA NAIR,

Do you receive error message ‘You can't install Windows 8,1 because your processor doesn't support CompareExchange 128'?

This is the hardware devices compatibility issue, to receive better support, it is recommended to contact the manufacturer.

Best regards,
Fangzhou CHEN

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Proposed as answer by Karen HuModerator Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:24 AM
Marked as answer by Karen HuModerator Thursday, April 02, 2015 10:16 AM

So, I guess i can't do the upgrade after all, Dan:trash:

just for ref: AMD Athlon 64X2 4800++ thats a 2.5 gig duel core processor

Last edited:
Well, it seems they won't allow that type of processors to upgrade. :) I don't know why, but maybe it makes the computer slow

I downloaded one update that was suggested KB 947821. also reflashed the bios and set up to default. Am waiting for a couple of other things to get finished up and will try it again.:whistling: If that won't do it then it won't install. :facepalm: I have the latest bios package in the computer.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom