Rebuild Advice Needed?.

saltyseadog

Solid State Member
I built my present PC around 5-6yrs ago and have noticed recently some signs of GPU degredation. To keep costs down, instead of buying a complete new set of parts would it be possible to just buy a new motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card and replace the existing ones. I found the following parts at Ebuyer,
Palit Geforce GTX 1050TI 4GB GDDR5 Dual Link DVI HDMI DisplayPort Graphics Card - Ebuyer
Gigabyte GA-990X-GAMING SLI Socket AM3+ 7.1 Channel ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer
AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ 16MB Processor | Ebuyer.com

My present PC specs are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 Rev 1.4
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor
RAM: OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
Optical Drive: LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW DL LightScribe SATA
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E
Storage:
Main Drive: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB ATA
Back Up HDD: Samsung Spin Point F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache

Yes, it is quite possible. As a matter of fact, it's one quality desktop PC's especially have over other computers. Just make sure the RAM is compatible with the mobo. I heard OCZ RAM is not that popular with mobo. makers.

My suggestion to reduce costs to the minimum is to just replace the video card, if it is the reason behind this upgrade and you're sure it is the only problem.

Keep in mind that your Windows key is going to fail. The activation (and specifically when changing out parts) works on a point system. Long story short, when you change out the motherboard, you're going to trip the Windows "alarms" and it will require a new key. This applies to Windows 6.0 (Vista) and newer.

Edit: I'd echo Smart_Guy's suggestion. Your chip and mobo are probably good, so in reality the video card just needs (if that is the basis of your issues) replaced. After that, I'd probably reinstall Windows to start clean (after a backup!).

I had this Windows problem before when I replaced a mamaboard. I called the MS service center (we have our own Arabic service here) and provided them with some numbers from the physical copy I use of Windows 7 and they reactivated it. It was on a clear install as the mobo requires tons of different drivers.

Thanks for the replies folks. In the end I just went ahead and bought the parts above plus a 1TB HDD and a copy of Windows 10. My wife convinced me on it as my eldest grand daughter wants a PC. As I have an old busted MSI PC I used to use as a music centre in my loft workshop I will use the Windows 7 parts to make one for her. Consider this thread solved and thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom