Router upgrade

Sharpy1

In Runtime
I have been looking for a router upgrade for as cheap as possible I have been looking at TL-R470T+ Router.

It only needs to be wired Gigabit no WiFi

It needs features like firewall, qos, Mac filtering, parental controls, dhcp ect could someone tell me if this product would be suitable.

I would have my isp provided hardware in modem mode connect ethernet from modem to router and from router to a switch

Would like tp-link and under £100

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Computer Forums mobile app

Looks like the router you mentioned has 10/100 ports, so if you have to have gigabit then it won't work for you. If you have a separate switch for your LAN anyway, it doesn't really matter. I usually like TP-Link for the cheap cost. I like that you can change the switch ports into regular interfaces if you want.

Ubiquiti products have been gaining popularity. I actually just ordered one of their ERLite 3 port routers. Gig ports that can be customized to do anything you want. There's a bit of a learning curve to them, though.

Yes stupid mistake it needs to be gigabit what about the tp-link TL-R600VPN and yes I like tp-link myself I have a few of there smart 8 Port switches around my house very cheap and offer semi manageability.

Could you please explain more about your ubiquity router please just looking at the Er-X

Tp link is a good brand. I have a lot of their WiFi bulbs and outlets and switches in my house for voice control of lights and things and for controlling and checking the status while away.

Yh I like there brand too that's why I was interested in one of the routers just not a small wifi version setting slightly better

Could you please explain more about your ubiquity router please just looking at the Er-X

Can't say much as I've only just ordered mine and it will be my first experience with them. But I chose it for the customization and firewall abilities.

I'm going to use one of the ports for a separate network. I want very granular control over what the machines on it can and cannot do on my main LAN network.

It also supports inter-VLAN routing, site-to-site VPN, and command line support if I should decide to use these advanced features one day.

Yes I want to also create a vlan for my guests and children also want to restrict what Internet can be accessed by guests and children eg restricted speeds, no torrents, access to drugs sex. And violence

Do you no anything about the linksys wrt54gl

I use semi managed switches in my network so can already create vlan and restrict speed

If you want one with Wifi built in, make sure it has N and AC support which the linksys wrt54gl doesn't.

For your use case, I might get a router with VLAN support, as well as an AP that supports VLANs and multiple SSIDs. Then you can create VLANs as you wish and assign the wifi SSIDs to them. I know TP-Link makes APs that can do this.

For blocking content, setup a free OpenDNS account and point your DNS to them. You can use their blocking categories as well as white/black list domains as you wish.

Sometimes a simple wireless router with a "Guest" network will work, but a problem i've ran into is that they won't allow separate DNS settings specified for the guest network. For instance you might want to use Google's DNS for your main LAN, and the OpenDNS for the "guest" network only.

Ok thanks I will look into some of that stuff and get back to you thanks crazyman

Back
Top Bottom