Replacing old tower for more efficient hardware

Sharpy1

In Runtime
Hi I am currently using a older power hungry tower for a few 24/7 network jobs and other tasks it's a Windows tower

USB printer sharing.
PHOTOSYNC APP.
RUNNING program tiny media manager. when needed
Torrents when needed
Backup via Rsync
Backups for Windows systems
Video Transcoding h264 h 265 1080p 720p

What I would like to do is offload these things to smaller hardware e.g raspberry pi

Could I move all of these over to a single unit or would I need multiple units

I want to take the tower off line as its eating electric I want to move all or most of these things to smaller more efficient devices and if I realy had to maby use a raspberry pi as a wake on Lan server to wake up the bigger tower if the smaller equipment wasn't up to the task but some possess need to run 24/7 others as needed

Sorry for realy unorganised information my brain is fried been researching for days

I no very little about raspberry pi but seems like it could be a ideal candidate

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Computer Forums mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

I would also like to run my own personal email contact calender server for my phones and devices in my house is this possible also recommended devices or options extremely low budget thanks

raspberry pi certainly can do all those things, and you can do it on a single device (you'd want a USB hub though)

I assume you'd be putting a decent sized USB disk and not trying to run it all on SD cards!

I would assume that your transcoding will not be speedy on that device though.

Yes I would be using an Hdd and a nas not sd cards and I would probably leave the Transcoding for a more powerful device that could be woken on demand

Back
Top Bottom