Dead Mobo?

Robbie77

Beta member
Hi, New Member---my first post---hopefully right place--if not please correct!
Problem---I have a Fujitsu P5905 Desktop, ---with a D2151 MB. This has been a reserve PC and not used for sometime. I wanted to clean it up to sell. Plugged in --power on---and--nothing! Power LED shows.
No USB functions--no Keyboard/Mouse, HDD doesn't run. No beeps either.
Processor gets warm and the cooler fan runs. Both DVD and CD-RW Drives have power. I checked out all RAM in other Desktop--no problems--Changed PSU --no change. There is nothing else to check out--No graphic Card etc. I took the MB out to check for anything obvious--nothing found. Refitted and checked all cabling---everything fine.
Fujitsu not much help---just say it's the MB gone bad---not sure I believe that---they suggest sending it in for repair. That would probably be more than a replacement MB.
I'm no great expert with Computer troubleshooting, so if anyone here can point to some possible reason for this, I'd be happy to try it. The PC never gave me any problems before---up to about a month ago last use.
Thanks Robbie

Unplug everything, HDD, CD rom, any daughter boards etc from the motherboard except the power supply. If the POST works then your MB and power supply are okay. From your OP you seem to suggest that that is what you did. If that is the case and you have sustituted a known good power supply then the only thing left is the mother board. You are right it would be cheaper to buy a new mother board, assuming you can use the same RAM and CPU in the new one, than it would be to get it repaired.

Hi Pete, Thanks for speedy response---wasn't really expecting a solution I suppose. First thought was Processor, but that wouldn'taffect USB useage etc.
just as an aside---the present Processor is an Intel Pentium D820 2M---could I replace that with a D 920 4M--which I have available--into the existing housing. I note however that the pattern of the contacts is different so haven't tried it---not wanting to make things worse if the MB can be recovered.
Appreciate your feedback on that.
Robbie

You can also try removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS. Remove and reseat the ram as well. Short of that there isn't much you can do.

Well if the pinouts are different then I wouldn't think that processor would fit. The processor not working would affect the USBs as everything is driven by the processor. I think if you have done what you say you have done I wouldn't be wasting my time any more. Buy a new board and if that is an old board forget using that processor and RAM by new bits to suit. The biggest problem with using old bits is that you do not know why your MB has decided to give up the ghost. If it's the processesor that could take out you mother board as could bad RAM or bad anything for that matter. I would go with a new MB and RAM and CPU to suit at the very least.

Pete, I thought both Processors would be interchangeable---both are from Socket 775 Boards--regardless of Pins. Are you saying that isn't so?

Crazyman143--My original post says I checked the RAM---I also changed the CMOS Battery--forgot to mention that--sorry.

Just because the CPUs are both socket 775 doesn't mean they'll work. Your board have a CPU support list, look it up and play it safe. Also check the BIOS version that will support said CPU.

Pete, I thought both Processors would be interchangeable---both are from Socket 775 Boards--regardless of Pins. Are you saying that isn't so?

Crazyman143--My original post says I checked the RAM---I also changed the CMOS Battery--forgot to mention that--sorry.

Well what I actually said was, "Well if the pinouts are different then I wouldn't think that processor would fit."To be honest I do not know but if the pinouts are different, as you say they are, I would be surprised if they are interchangeable. Your biggest problem IMO is that you do not know why your board has packed up. Your board is, also, 10 years old. I would chuck it and buy a new CPU, new RAM and a new board. What you have just isn't worth wasting time and money on in my opoinion.

What pete said, it's too old. Heck a $50 Celeron will walk all over that board. Get the Celeron, an MSI mobo and 2x2 memory on a budget and you'll have a system that rocks.

When I started on this forum I was on my budget Celeron PC so I picked the name Celery. I upgraded from my aging AM2-2800 system that couldn't cut it anymore and the guys told me forget AMD get a Celeron and do good.

Now I'm passing the same advice to you. :cool:

windows screenshot

Last edited:
If you are just cleaning it up to sell I wouldn't bother with it any farther at all I would just trash it pull out the hard drive and erase it and then get rid of it. The cost of a new motherboard and your time to put it in and get everything set back up would be a lot more than you could sell it for.

Back
Top Bottom