Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes in Price vs. Performance

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

TechnTeach

Solid State Member
Alright so I won't lie, I'm one of the few "power" users I know who has actually preferred AMD for most of my builds over the years....some of this is the obvious cost factor, but I had really good luck with some early Athlon XP chips and some very slow Pentium 4's that pushed me to follow AMD....

Now my question is, will Ryzen (Renamed from Zen) stand any chance against Intel with their new AM4 platform? My two main desktops are currently an FX-8100/16G DDR3 and an FX-6300/20GB DDR3 but lets face it, the FX chips are old and slow....my 3rd Gen i5 laptop benchmarks higher in single and multi-threaded performance than either of my FX chips.

I've been reading that one of the new Ryzen chips took on an i7 6900k (with both virtually clocked to 3.0Ghz) and took a slim win, but will AMD be able to keep up the pace?

I'm considering building a new desktop here in the next 1-2 years and not sure which way to go...originally I was considering building an X99 system, but the cost for what I would need is going to go through the roof (mostly for the processor)...so a next-gen chip from AMD may be a good second choice if they can keep the performance higher and the cost down....I'm not looking for something that will be better than Intel as AMD's bottom line has always been their price point, but something decently comparable could be on my radar.

When I used to build my own computers I always used AMD processors mainly because they were significantly cheaper than Intel. I think the only to find out which is best is to bench test them yourself. Both AMD and Intel have put out some very "ambitious" claims for their products in the past. I no longer build my own computers as I only use them for the internet, email and an occasional letter and all the ones that I buy seem to use an intel cpu.

I am think they will probably outperform older AMD processors.
The name sounds a lot like ricin, not a very good choice on that front. Hopefully they are making better decisions in the development.

This site did the legwork on CPUs.

PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts

I was an AMD guy and all my PCs were AMDs. When my AM2-2800+ system were lacking in memory (2 gigs max) after 6 years in use I started looking for an AMD combo to upgrade. I was looking at an AMD 270 combo when I asked about it on a computer forum. They said Dude, get this Celeron G540 instead and posted the link like above for me to compare. It was better priced at $50.

I hated Celeron. They were such pathetic CPUs and I was using Durons instead. Remember them? Damn good CPUs. They said the game changed and Intel is it. Ok, I compared the G540 to the 270 and I was surprised at the big difference. I thought really?

I built the Celeron system and it smoked. I liked it so much that I upgraded it to an i3-2105 CPU. Later I build an i5 system which I am using now. My i3 system is in the closet for backup. :cool:

Intel's still where it's at. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom