I am carbuff

carbuff

Beta member
Hi, I am carbuff a long time computer user. In fact, my initial introduction to computing was learning punch cards for the old IBM system.

My first PC was a Dell the month following the opening of that company for business. Since then, I have purchased many desktops, notebooks and laptops. Beginning in 1994, I began putting together my own personal systems using bare bones shells with the components that I thought were state-of-the art technical marvels at the time. However, since age has caught up with me making it difficult to handle screws and such, I have gone back to off-the-shelf devices.

My present desktop is a Dell XPS 8910. I have modified it with the physical help of a friend. I have upgraded it to contain two 750GB SSD's, a more powerful PSU, a very good graphics card and a sound card cabled to my home theaters system.

I hope to learn from others in this forum and to contribute if something in a thread catches my attention that I might add to from my experience.

Welcome aboard :D

Wow, you must be really old. Much respect, sir :)

Did you try using the HDMI connectivity for the audio instead of the sound card? Video cards now provide 5.1 audio via HDMI. Less cables and hassle. Or are you on a +1080p setup with DisplayPort?

Hey and Welcome to CF carbuff. You'll learn lots here and we are always looking for new recruits to contribute.

I thank you both for your responses.

I use a optical cable from a Xonar DCX internal computer sound card to the Onkyo AVR controlling the home theater system located in my home office room.

I use a HDMI cable from a internal computer EVGA Geforce GTX 750TI card to the display monitor.

Both of these cards are old but more than adequate for my needs.

Oh yes, I am old in a body that lost its youthful vitality many years ago but try to remain young in mind and spirit. My wife of sixty-six years continues to tell me to take the garbage out.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum carbuff, I'm an old guy too and built my first PC around the same time that you got your first Dell. Hope to see more postings from you.

Back
Top Bottom