Switching to SSD drive.

This means that sometimes, if your SSD was formatted by something other than Windows' installer, it can be aligned incorrect

I would format the hard drive before cloning. Would be the easiest way.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums
Formatting the drive prior to cloning would have ZERO effect regarding whether the partitions are aligned correctly after cloning.

Which version do you use?

I just use whatever their latest free version is.
And actually I read up and looks like I was wrong- it doesn't fix misalignment automatically. But it does allow you to reformat and then copy the contents of your misaligned partition into the correct one during clone. Heres a link about it

Most likely this is a non issue for you though, because starting with Vista and above, windows formats its partitions correctly. But it still wouldn't hurt to check this after you do the clone. I would just get it cloned and worry about this later.

Did you look at Strollin's link? the answers in there:

To see if your partitions are aligned correctly, hit the Start menu and type in msinfo32. Enter Msinfo32 and go to Components > Storage > Disks. Look for your SSD on the list and find the "Partition Starting Offset" item. If this number is divisible by 4096 (that is, if dividing it by 4096 equals a whole number and not a decimal), your partition is correctly aligned. If not, you need to realign it.

Want to change from a spinning hard drive to a SSD drive. The new SSD drive is bigger than the spinning drive. I should be able to clone everything to the new SSD drive correct?

Once the spinning drive is cloned to the SSD drive all that I would have to do is remove the spinning drive and reboot the computer correct?

when you say SSD you have already said 'drive' lol so you are saying a solid state drive drive...

Update. I found a Dell FX160 desktop that has a 180GB SSD as well as 4GB memory. Tge code was only 89.99 with free shipping. So just purchasing a SSD of 180 GBcosts more than thaGB So not too bad of a deal. Does not have a DVD drive but, that is OK because I have an eexternal DVD drive. I had the seller install Windows XP and removing Windows 7. I used Windows 7 before and do not like that version.

I can only recommend using Windows 10. Windows XP was released 15 years ago, and 4 operating systems have been released since then. Windows XP does not have the same software support for SSDs as Windows 7 and later versions do.

I can't recommend buying a secondhand SSD either, as with a HDD they only have limited lifespan and after writing their own size of data to the SSD, they slow down a little. Without knowing the brand we cannot guarantee the quality either.

Back
Top Bottom