chkdsk /F marked 900GB Truecrypt file as 0KB how can i recover it?

postcd

Banned
Hello,

something in my head told me i should not run chkdisk /F (fix/repair) on a HDD on which is hosted Truectypt container file, but i ran it because TC volume was disconnecting and system functions tied to this HDD was frozing.

I ran it with this log file generated. The result is that truecrypt container file was marked 0KB

And after submitting password in TC, i get: Error: Incorrect volume size.

I assume chkdisk somehow modified that true crypt file which was somehow "inconsistent".

According to the log file, please can anyone advice how to discover where was modification made to revert it inside hex editor?

===========
Here are some details i found regarding issue:

I found this topic where is adviced to use SW called "WinHex" to copy the file over to a new drive. Here is how the file beginning looks like. And here is some file created/modified in date when issue happend.

Im curious where is the beginning and where is the end of the volume file (disk.dat).

I read that Truecryt data can be recovered if header of the volume is not damaged, here is nice article on recovering data from damaged TC volume. What do you suggest please? (except doing regular backups)

Thank you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom