Which Kind of PSU?

Metalenmike

Beta member
So I have ambitious plans to build my first PC since I'm not happy with the one I bought from Origin-PC. I am looking for recommendations for a PSU to power the beast I want to make! Here is what I have picked out for my future build project. :cool:

MOBO: MSi X99A GAMING PRO CARBON

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6950X Processor Extreme Edition
(25M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)

GPUs: NVIDIA Quadro M6000 24GB x1
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB x2
3 Total GPUs

RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LED 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 x8
8 Total RAM Cards

Hard Drive: WD Black 5TB Hard Disk Drive-7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache

Heat sink: Corsair Hydro Seriesâ„¢ H80i v2 High Performance Liquid

PSU: ????

Any Idea's for a PSU to Power this soon to be monster? Again this is the first time i'll be building my own PC from scratch...

Still picking a case btw lol

Last edited:
Id also skip the Quadro gpu unless you are building a neuro net simulation or other compute heavy task. They are not good for rendering, only for adding computational pipelines to your system.

This I didn't know, thank you for the heads up on the Quadro! ( sorry for the delayed responce, busy with work and stuffz )

Since you're planning for a multi GPU solution, make sure whatever PSU you get has the number of PCI-E +12v rails needed.

Take only popular brands.

If the GPU's are specially powerful, make sure the amperage is distributed well on the PCI-E rails and the total wattage for the +12v can handle the total power consumption of all the GPU's.

I suggest you try to find your exact GPU setup and share it with us to give you the bet fit, or the PSU you find.

That will certainly be more than enough.

Are you planning on using more than 2 GTX 1080's (now that you decided to exclude the Quadro)? If you're not, and you don't want the extra power you paid for laying around needlessly, then a 950-1000 Watt of similar quality is more than enough even to overclock the CPU to 5Ghz (if possible). Otherwise go for it. You're choice is rated 1500 Watts.

By the way, I don't see an SSD on the list. It make a huge difference for operating systems' speed and response and it's relatively considered the best performance boost/upgrade these days.

omg Thank You for reminding me I needed to shop around for a SSD :lol: I been meaning to do that, it's now gonna be a Toshiba X300 6TB SSD (now a days games take so much space! :eek: ) oh and with the GPU I changed it to an EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN Z 12GB GAMING so I'll have 3 GPUs. As for the PSU better to have to much power than not enough right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom