Low powered hardware for Network tasks

Sharpy1

In Runtime
Hi everyone just thought I would repost a thread making more sense

Is it possible to use a raspberry pi or other cheap low powered hardware for a few network tasks, if so could I do it with a single device or would multiple be needed.

The main jobs I want to achieve are

1) Sending a wake on lan signal once a week at a certain time to a bigger computer

And a few 24/7 network jobs

1) host a USB printer for WiFi printing
2) torrents
3)rsync backups
4) Contact & calinder server for (IOS, AMDROID)

Please not I have no experience with devices like rpi but am not afraid of researching and learning I have already done a lot of research and think alot of this is possible but would like advice from more experienced people

Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Computer Forums mobile app

yes, entirely possible, and makes a bunch of sense to use a low power system to do things like that.

don't worry that it's a raspberry pi, the real question is what is your Linux experience?

My Linux experience is pretty much zero but am willing to learn I am not afraid of research and new grounds

Would all of these things be possible with a single raspberry pi

There are cheap windows boxes you can build or buy too, but nothing beats the price point of the raspberry pi, arduino, etc.

Hi again crazyman yes this project needs to be as cheap as possible as its already only a measure to help save energy and be more efficient.

I have recently moved all data from this tower to my nas and have started turning the tower off completely but I need a peice of hardware to do the few remaining network jobs

As I haven't much if any Linux experience I wanted to get help with this topic I know Linux is command line based and a pain to learn but a few answers and pointers in the right direction should help me solve these problems

There are any number of network server operating systems out there, and most of them are Linux-based. While there are some full GUI options available, they of course require a bit more in the computing power department, but operating a small server based around a stick computer can be done.

The Wake on LAN can be a simple chron job on the server.

In a way to save power, I had actually powered my routers, wifi, and modem from the firewall server power supply, eliminating four different wall-warts.

Could you recommend a OS with a GUI that could achieve what I wanted and run on a Raspberry Pi or similar low cost low power hardware

What kind of NAS do you have? a lot of those are linux based and maybe could be used for some of your requirements.

It's a netgear readynas not very powerful but good for hosting a few items

Back
Top Bottom