Can Someone Recommend Specs for New Laptop for Me?

You don't even need a notebook to do those things, a small lightweight inexpensive Chromebook will do what you want to do.

Thx for the recommendation, Tech. I'm actually now considering a Chromebook.

What do you think of these:

Option 1: HP G4 11.6" Chromebook - Intel Celeron - 2GB Memory - 16GB eMMC Flash Memory Black P0B78UT - Best Buy

Option 2: Lenovo N22 11.6" Chromebook - Intel Celeron - 2GB Memory - 16GB Solid State Drive Black 80SF0000US - Best Buy

Option 3: Lenovo N22 11.6" Chromebook - Intel Celeron - 4GB Memory - 16GB Solid State Drive Black 80SF0001US - Best Buy

***I think the only?? difference between 2 and 3 are memory??

Again, I really only need it for web surfing, email, writing documents in MS WORD, and watching YouTube occasionally.

Nothing - absolutely nothing else. Would these do?

Microsoft offers a completely free web-based version of Office called Office Online, complete with Word Online, Excel Online, and PowerPoint Online. Microsoft even makes these apps available in the Chrome Web Store. There is also the google docs that will let you keep the documents in the cloud and work on them from any connected device.

Things a chromebook can do

As far as the one you buy, only you know what one appeals to you and why, so that is a subjective choice as much as an objective one.
I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...-+2GB+Memory+-+16GB+eMMC+Flash+Memory+-+Black

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-80SF0...-+4GB+Memory+-+16GB+Solid+State+Drive+-+Black

Personally I think the HP has a better aesthetic, specs aside.

Last edited:
I recently joined Uni too..to do my Masters and a friend of mie seems to be pretty satisfied with the MacbookPro

Chrome OS is too restrictive in my opinion.

Something running Windows 10, i3, 4GB or more RAM will suffice. Get a Solid State Hard Drive if you can afford it as it improves the experience a lot, but no big problem if you can't :)

I've always had a policy of not getting refurbished computers - whether it's a rational bias or not. lol. I just would rather have a "fresh" one.

Thanks for the Dell recommendation. It's not bad at all and I'm highly considering it. Just going to do a tad bit more searching, since I'm in no hurry right now (using school's lab computers atm, so I'm okay).

BK, I've always appreciated your knowledgeable feedback to everyone on the forums here and thought I'd throw some follow-up questions out for you if you had time to answer them:

1.) Are there any major negatives with getting what's known as an "all-in-one" computer? I've considered this as an alternative to a new laptop. Just wondering if I'm missing something about them that I should know in terms of what's good and bad about them.

2.) Are there any laptop brands you'd say are bad and that we should avoid? Acer is one that looks kind of on the cheap side to me in terms of it's material. HP, on the other hand, seems to have nice laptops from a physical point of view.

3.) Would buying a laptop online (like the Dell you recommended) be bad with regard to shipping/handling? I've seen these crazy hiidden videos of FedEx delivery guys literally THROWING laptop boxes from very high up onto people's yards and handling them pretty harshly while loading their trucks.

I wonder if doing that risks damaging your laptop and would be something you didn't notice immediately, but would show up gradually over time? I mean, if I found a crack in my laptop, then I'd obviously know something was wrong, but what if there was some small damage from getting thrown that I couldn't see, but would contribute to it breaking down over time. Is that possible?

4.) Dell Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Black I3558-5500BLK - Best Buy

How does this Dell compare to the one you linked? It's $10 more than yours, but it's available at Best Buy, which I could pick up in person. Are the specs on this one better/worse/same?

Thanks a bunch for all your help! :flowers:

I'll give a late response here.

1) Personally I'm not a fan of all-in-ones or desktops really in general as I like to be portable and not be limited to where I can use a computer, so I have my laptop hooked up to a monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse so that way I can I move and pick up from where I left.

2) Everyone of course has their good's and bad's. I haven't always been a fan of Acer or Dell as finding information and specifications about their older products isn't always easy and drivers too but I would still recommend them to people as they have improved of the years.

3) I brought my Toshiba laptop secondhand off eBay and arrived fine but in all honesty I've never really thought about that. Majority of laptops are packed pretty well for protection. I've never heard of laptops just being thrown or dumped in people's yards but other expensive things or ringing the doorbell or knocking at the door and dumping them item and quickly running back to their van is very common with our postal delivery services.

Chrome OS is too restrictive in my opinion.

Something running Windows 10, i3, 4GB or more RAM will suffice. Get a Solid State Hard Drive if you can afford it as it improves the experience a lot, but no big problem if you can't :)

Yeah I too am not very keen on Chrome OS for the same reasons. Windows is still my preferred OS of choice.

Back
Top Bottom