Opinioins please.....

RLancon

Beta member
I am going to go for my first build on my own. I am retired now and have the time so I will try and do a computer build selection.. As I am a greenhorn to this any comments good or bad are certainly appreciated. My decisions are based in many hours of reading, comparisons, and looking at reviews by others. MY USEAGE I won't be doing any overclocking as I want dependability. I felt an air cooler is darn near as good and less stuff to go awry. My motherboard selection has fan controllers build in and has the capability to control additional fans with another add on card and the whole shebang can be controlled and set to quiet with the software. I would fill up the case with fans and feel that should keep things pretty cool and quiet. Please correct me if I am wrong here. In addition to that this board has on board wifi and good audio. So my selection for this board is based on not needing a separate fan controller, wifi card, and sound card. I went with 16 gb memory as I read more than that you wont see a benefit. I went with ASUS for name recognition, dependability, and an overall less than 1% return rate based on a huge sales volume. Game play is mainly for when my kids come home to roost for a bit....other than that it will be a computer to augment my existing Dell XPS27 inch all in one with 8 gig nd 2 mb video card that I use daily. Bang for the buck is what I am after. I would also consider dual cards it it makes that much of a difference. The power supply is big, I feel the headroom is a good thing. Thank you in advance for your opinions. I value them and will incorporate them in the next edit. I only replace computers every 5 years or so, and my intent is to build a reliable future proof system that this time will be upgrade able. Once again, thank you kindly for your input. My monitor of choice will be the Dell UltraSharp U3415W - 34.08" Curved IPS LED Monitor as it is now $699.00 Regards, Ray Below is a link to my initial parts selection after doing much reading on the reviews.... Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX, Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Great build but a few things:

1. If you aren't planning on overclocking there is no reason to get a K processor. K processors have their multipliers unlocked, which means they are designed to be overclocked. For simplicity's sake, K skus are the only overclockable intel processors (you can overclock non K processors but its more difficult). I would save some money, 120 bucks to be exact, and just get an i5-6500. It's a great processor and will do everything you need it to do.

2. The motherboard is great but its overkill. You could save quite a bit of money if you buy a cheaper one and then get an external wifi stick. If that's a deal breaker than the motherboard is fine.

3. That power supply is also overkill. It's more wattage than you'll ever need with this system and is even too much if you decided to add another graphics card.

CORSAIR RMx Series RM750X 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply-Newegg.com

How about this? Or the 650w version for 100 even. They're 80 plus gold, they're fully modular, and they'll be more power efficient because your system load will fall into a higher percent load of the psu, which is more efficient. Put another way, if your system draws 350-450w at max load (which is what I would expect) your PSU will be at about 70 percent load with the 650w vs under 50 percent with the one you chose. The 650 or 750w PSU still give you room to upgrade as well.

4. Why Windows 10 pro? Home is cheaper and will have all the features you need. Pro just adds deeper encryption, virtualization tech, and domain tech (for networks and things across multiple computers).

5. Is there a particular reason you want that monitor? You could go 1440p or even 4K for less.

Just some final thoughts. I understand your desire for dependability, but I almost always recommend overclocking. My desktop has an i7-920 which is an 8 year old chip. I've had it heavily overclocked since day one and I think that speaks volumes about the effect of overclocking on dependability or lack thereof. I'm a gamer, and OC'ing allows me to squeeze more use of out my hardware before I need to upgrade. In addition, it just makes the computer faster in day to day use. You could also hold off on OC'ing until later down the road, when performance starts to lag.

Back
Top Bottom