Apple really outdid themselves

Jarl,

You're right, the lighting port does enable digital audio but speaking personally, I hear no difference so it's not a selling point to me. And I had an HTC windows mobile phone back in '08/09 that did not have a head phone jack and needed an adapter plugged into the USB/charging port. I absolutely hated the extra bulk in my pocket. I'll grant you that the apple adapter will likely be much smaller than that old adapter (tech has come a long way) but again it's still extra bulk in my pocket.

Now, if head phones came with a lightning adapter (or USB for Android phones) with a built in splitter for power so there was no need for a dongle - then I'd be sold.

Jarl,

You're right, the lighting port does enable digital audio but speaking personally, I hear no difference so it's not a selling point to me. And I had an HTC windows mobile phone back in '08/09 that did not have a head phone jack and needed an adapter plugged into the USB/charging port. I absolutely hated the extra bulk in my pocket. I'll grant you that the apple adapter will likely be much smaller than that old adapter (tech has come a long way) but again it's still extra bulk in my pocket.

Now, if head phones came with a lightning adapter (or USB for Android phones) with a built in splitter for power so there was no need for a dongle - then I'd be sold.

I'm sure splitters will be coming. I do get your point though. Personally I think it will be something people get used to and then forget that things were ever different. Like with the move from 30 pin to lightning port. That being said, Apple is crazy for selling their wireless earpods for 160 bucks. Those should be included if they really wanted to get people to make the move to wireless. Apple could tap into their offshore pile of cash in Ireland that they don't use....

Agreed on their ear buds. $160 and only 5 hours of battery? that's ridiculous. Give it a year of use and you'd be lucky to get 3 hours of life out of them and who's going to constantly be swapping buds out because a pair needs to charge?

But yeah, if they were to come up with buds now that had an in-line splitter that didn't add extra bulk for android, I'd probably switch to it now as it'd future proof me, but until that happens, I'll keep my good ol' jack-style buds

I'm getting really tired of the lack of advancements in battery technology. The first company to produce a battery that is significantly better (like aluminum air) than current li-ion batteries is going to make so much money. It irks me to no end that battery tech has been so stagnant over the last 5-6 years.

you say apple doesn't make half baked products?

I guess you forgot that the original iphone had no media messaging, (in 2007!) no blue tooth. and sucked.

I guess you forgot just how bad Siri was when first launched.

I guess you forgot how Apple maps got people lost in desserts, or sent you to the wrong side of countries when trying to get places?

the phone that lost signal when held incorrectly, (like most people held their phones)

the phone where some models would find if they updated over Wifi, (and this happened to my phone and a couple of friends) the stress of downloading the update would cause the wifi chip to heat and break the solder joints, meaning the phone needed to be re-flowed to re-establish WiFi capabilities.

I could probably go on and on... (but really, just go to the apple support forums and look at the amount of unanswered questions...

Apple are the masters of half baked ill thought out ideas.

and you missed the point entirely with the wide connector compared to the lightening cable.
the lightening cable was (when it first came out) ridiculously over priced, tear downs confirmed the apple cable to contain active electronics to stop cheap charge cables being made.

and there were a lot of 3rd party devices out there that had that wide connector.

so what happened is a lot of things that people paid good money for suddenly became obsolete when that connector was changed.

stereo system, alarm clocks, docking stations.

in my case, my old iphone integrates with my car with cable, I don't need to take my eyes off the road, everything is changeable from the steering wheel controls. changing the connector now means the phone does not integrate, and you need to go back to blue tooth radio or aux adapters or FM transmitters. you need to stop looking at the road and pick up your phone to change tracks or playlists etc...

(and the upgrade stereo is probably more than the phone...)

and...
yes, having just spent (not huge amounts) but a fair amount on a set of good headphones. I would definitely miss the headphone port...

(that would probably be enough to put me off all together.)

and no, that's not listening to consumers.

literally no consumer at any time has said.

"what I really want is less flexibility, less connectivity, lower audio quality. to be forced to make use of extra transmitters, that reduce my devices battery life and mean I have to carry separate heavier accessories, that I'll need to change using another separate cable that I have to carry around also... so at any point either my device, or my headphones can run out of battery and I can spend the rest of the day in enforced silence."

sure, apple have had good ideas in their past. removing the most universal connector in the world was not one of them.

Yeah, the iPhone 7 is on par with my Samsung Galaxy 7. Apple is playing catch up, six months behind.

That's the way it always has been. I can remember my Galaxy S4 came out in 2013, having AC Wifi and Apple only added it to iPhone 6 in 2014. The same year the Galaxy S5 came out and it was waterproof and it's taken 2 years for Apple to bake that in. Also the Galaxy S2 came out years before and had NFC support and Apple took 3-4 years to add that.

Apple is still only opening a lot of its features up to 3rd parties where as Google and the gang have been encouraging and supported it for years. One thing I do praise Apple on is its software updates and not making go through the carrier and sending it straight to the device where as a lot Android manufacturers make so variants of their phones and it's them months even a year after a new release of Android is ready.

This is so true!

I think that way oversimplifies things and ignores other factors but it is kinda true. That's why I'm not going with the 7. The 8 is going to be spectacular though. Wireless charging in a whole room and not just on a charging mat is going to blow everyone's mind. That feature alone will make people jump ship from Android and boost Apple sales. And since the tech is proprietary and no other manufacturer has even hinted that they are working on it, Apple will have created a massive technological gap. As far as screens, if Apple can make a screen so good that its resolution hasn't needed to be bumped up for years (though I wish they had), imagine what the new OLED they'll be introducing will be like.

Lol... What a fanboyish comment.
That's what i usually hear from apple fans.
"Next time. Next time it will be perfect. Gonna have this huge gab in technology and we are gonna have all these cool things. Nothing Samsung or HTC does can match it"

Lol... What a fanboyish comment.
That's what i usually hear from apple fans.
"Next time. Next time it will be perfect. Gonna have this huge gab in technology and we are gonna have all these cool things. Nothing Samsung or HTC does can match it"

I get how it sounds but this time it's actually true. I'm not a fanboy. I do like Apple better (yes I've tried both OS'es and have come to that decision empirically) and I don't DISLIKE Android. For me, the iPhone is just an easier and more pleasurable device to use on a daily basis. I recognize Apple's annoying habit of releasing phones that tend to just be the same thing as last year or that play catch up with Android and seem antiquated or late to the party. That being said, that room charging tech IS a big thing and I don't see how anyone can deny that. Imagine walking into a room and your phone just starts charging automatically. That's what Apple is doing. I think you'd be lying if you said that that isn't frikkin amazing. And if Apple has a patent on that tech (which they do) that makes it much harder for other companies to do the same thing. The iPhone 7 is a good phone and it adds some stuff, but it doesn't do enough, hence why I'm skipping it. The 8 is Apple's 10th anniversary of the iphone so obviously they are going to go all out with it. Hence why they've moved from a tick tock model to a 3 year model (tick, tick, tock?).

Back
Top Bottom