Apple really outdid themselves

jarlmaster

In Runtime
The iPhone 7 is pretty impressive. Aside from the lack of an increase in screen resolution, everything else has been improved or added. Apple really listened to customer complaints/suggestions. Bigger, better battery, stereo speakers, double the ram, improved front facing camera, etc.

I'm still going to wait for the 8 because that is going to be truly revolutionary but I like the track that Apple appears to be on.

Yeah, the iPhone 7 is on par with my Samsung Galaxy 7. Apple is playing catch up, six months behind.

I guarantee it will outperform the galaxy s7. Apple's flagships always do (the 6s is on par with the s7. the 7 will smoke it). And everyone plays catch up at some point. Here's how I see the iPhone relative to other manufacturers and some thoughts on the 7:

1. Apple tends to innovate, then rest on their laurels for a while. Sometimes they lag behind others (infuriatingly so) but when they make their move as it were, it blows everyone else out of the water (think retina display, touch ID, etc.). Then other phones play catch up. Remember that Apple JUST moved to a quad core chip with the A10. Their dual cores have been outperforming 4,6, and 8 core chips that competitors have been using for years.

2. Apple refines whereas Android (this is how I will refer to all competitors from this point on) tends to throw everything at a wall and see what sticks. It took quite a while for Android the OS to become as refined, functional, and smooth as iOS. It wasn't that long ago that you had stutters, lock ups, lag, etc. Where Android is unnecessarily pushing octacores, 4gb of ram, 4K screens!!, etc. Apple has been achieving greatness with dual cores, 1gb of ram or less quite recently (though this has been one big issue I've had with them) etc. Apple releases polished features whereas some Android features are half baked.

3. Specifically with the 7, Apple is pandering to consumer desires/suggestions/complaints. 2gb of ram (FINALLY), stereo speakers, a bigger battery/more efficient processor, the features of iOS 10, an improved front facing camera, and dual cameras on the plus model. These are all things that I've complained about/wanted and I know plenty of others feel the same way. I still want an increase in resolution, but the screens are always great anyway.

4. An aside about the removal of the headphone jack. People will whine now but in a month or so people will wonder why it was ever there in the first place. They'll have wireless earbuds or just use the adapter and enjoy the benefits of digital audio. Then Android will follow suit and soon headphone jacks will be totally obsolete (its old tech anyway).

Like I said I'm waiting for the 8. Edge to edge OLED display and the biggest electrical innovation since the establishment of AC/DC current: room wide wireless charging. Walk into a room and your phone starts charging. They are optimizing the system currently but it has been demonstrated and is functional. Also the potential inclusion of Li-Fi (which has also been demonstrated and is functional).

Sorry for the exhaustive breakdown haha.

I couldn't live without a headphone jack on my phone. I"m on my phone roughly 7 hours a day for work and ignoring the battery issues, I have yet to find a bluetooth headset that is 1) comfortable for 8 hour a day wear and 2) has a microphone that people can actually hear me well with. My $30 earbuds meet both requirements and give me a much better sound quality as well.

I couldn't live without a headphone jack on my phone. I"m on my phone roughly 7 hours a day for work and ignoring the battery issues, I have yet to find a bluetooth headset that is 1) comfortable for 8 hour a day wear and 2) has a microphone that people can actually hear me well with. My $30 earbuds meet both requirements and give me a much better sound quality as well.

You can use an adapter or the splitter that I'm sure they'll release if its that big of an issue. There are ways around it. Apple is forcing innovation here. Saved space equals bigger battery plus a better DAC. Digital audio, which the lightning port allows for, is cleaner and higher quality than analog audio, regardless of DAC quality. But this is exactly my point. People complain about the headphone jack being taken off but soon everyone will forget about it and deal with it. I don't understand the issue. Remember the reaction to the switch from 30 pin to lightning? Everyone was up in arms about it but were quick to get the 5. Within a month or two post release, everyone forgot about it and went about their life.

Last edited:
I've never found a pair of ear buds that I could stand wearing for more than 10 minutes or so. I much prefer using a pair of Bluetooth headphones (not those little Bluetooth earpieces). In a pinch, I would use hardwired headphones but never earbuds.

It wouldn't bother me that much if my phone didn't have a headphone jack.

1) Actually no. The iPhone was not the first phone to get a quad core. That was LG.
And about their screens being ahead of the competition is opinion based, but it's a well agreed opinion among reviewers that Samsung has always had a better screen than the equivalent iPhone..... even though it's actually samsung that are making the screens for the iPhone. Maybe they are not paying samsung enough, i don't know.
It's still an amazing screen and better than most Android phones at release. Has been like that with pretty much all iPhones. But you can't deny all the praise Samsung are getting for their screens.

The touch ID thing, yes, that worked better on the iPhone when it became a thing, but Samsung still had it out on the market first with their Galaxy Alpha 4G.

It's not just apple that is innovating. It's Apple, Samsung, HTC and more. They are all take inspiration for each other and you know it.
To say that Apple is the main innovater is wrong. Apple's IOS has taken a shit tone of ideas directly from android... and also wise versa i have to admit. But i'll say most of the copying is apple copying android.

2)
I'll agree it took longer for Android to be refined. But today it's a very refined system. And no, it's not true that they just throw stuff on the wall to see what sticks.
Android as it's core is very simple. It's the manufactures that sometimes fucks them up with bloat. It's not as much a problem as it has been. Android has seriously matured. Mostly after Android 5.

Last edited:
1) Actually no. The iPhone was not the first phone to get a quad core. That was LG.
And about their screens being ahead of the competition is opinion based, but it's a well agreed opinion among reviewers that Samsung has always had a better screen than the equivalent iPhone..... even though it's actually samsung that are making the screens for the iPhone. Maybe they are not paying samsung enough, i don't know.
It's still an amazing screen and better than most Android phones at release. Has been like that with pretty much all iPhones. But you can't deny all the praise Samsung are getting for their screens.

The touch ID thing, yes, that worked better on the iPhone when it became a thing, but Samsung still had it out on the market first with their Galaxy Alpha 4G.

It's not just apple that is innovating. It's Apple, Samsung, HTC and more. They are all take inspiration for each other and you know it.
To say that Apple is the main innovater is wrong. Apple's IOS has taken a shit tone of ideas directly from android... and also wise versa i have to admit. But i'll say most of the copying is apple copying android.

2)
I'll agree it took longer for Android to be refined. But today it's a very refined system. And no, it's not true that they just throw stuff on the wall to see what sticks.
Android as it's core is very simple. It's the manufactures that sometimes fucks them up with bloat. It's not as much a problem as it has been. Android has seriously matured. Mostly after Android 5.

1. To clarify I'll say that I never said Apple had the first quad core. What I was saying is that they are very late to the party. This is apple's first quad core in a phone whereas other phones have been rocking 8 for a few years. I do agree with and can attest to samsung screens being incredible. I only buy Samsung TV's. They are the premiere TV manufacturers imo. Samsung phone screens are certainly more vibrant and higher res than iphone but my main gripe is that they are just too saturated. They're gorgeous but not always true to life. For that reason I prefer the iPhone screen (though they really need to up the res. The current res is fine tbh but it can always be better!) Apparently the 7's screen is really something. As far as Touch ID and other such things, Apple may not have been the first to introduce it, but they were the first to introduce an elegant, refined version of it. One that worked well right off the bat. And that's what I mean. Others may be the first to introduce something, but Apple waits and releases it when its truly ready to go.

2. By throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks, I mean that Android manufacturers often introduce half baked features that don't work all that well like the G5 companions. Agreed on the bloat aspect. Android is a great OS at its core and some skins are very nice (the new touchwhiz is quite cool). I acknowledge that and I acknowledge that manufacturers often add crappy bloat. But the main point is that Apple tends to add features when they are mature and refined, whereas Android doesn't always do so (though they have gotten better).

Apple definitely takes a LOT from Android and Android definitely innovates. But I feel that Apple really makes the biggest waves.

Back
Top Bottom