internet faster on iphone than laptop?

jarlmaster

In Runtime
Strange issue. At school, my iphone gets a much faster connection than my laptop does. I get about 9-10 mpbs down on my laptop vs 25 mpbs down on my iphone 6. Both devices have an AC wireless adapter. My laptop is running Windows 10 if that's relevant.

I don't understand what the issue is. Any ideas?

That's weird. Is it possible they're throttling you somehow? what does everyone else get on their laptops?

I'm not sure what everyone else gets. I think roughly the same. It's not awful but it's subpar. I'm in the vet school and I don't think we get much love from IT haha.

If you don't get much love from your IT section then it's time someone started banging on tables and doors there. IT are paid to sort out IT problems.

Anyway it could be that your Ipad is getting a much better signal than your laptop. If the signal strength of your connection degrades one of the ways your laptop/computer/ipad will try to cope is by slowing the rate of transfer down. Ultimately this will slow your internet speed. Lots of things can affect the quality of the wireless signal not the least of which is where the antenna wire is situated within the device itself and how efficient the the antenna is and the reciever/ytransmitter module within the device. Also walls/furniture etc etc can all affect the signal strength.

Having said that if I was in your shoes I would be getting your IT department to actually do their job and earn their pay.

If IT isn't gonna help you, you could get a usb wifi dongle. It will most likely give your laptop a good boos in WiFi signal strength.

Last edited:
Usually IT depts won't help and are limited to networking support but this falls under that. Check your settings in device manager as the laptop could be trying to save power on the adaptor and also check the battery plan settings as I know that on the balanced one it tries to save power.

N8fwfKd.png

Well when I worked in an IT department in a technology college over here I would help students who had problems accessing our networks whether it was by wireless or ethernet. As I said IMO the OP's tech dep cannot be bothered, and yes I know that happens frequently in institutions and workplaces, which, again, IMO means they are scamming it. I would have thought it would have been in the school's and the school IT department to ensure that the students get the best network and internet access that they can to further the students education. Without the students there would be no school.

Last edited:
Well when I worked in an IT department in a technology college over here I would help students who had problems accessing our networks whether it was by wireless or ethernet. As I said IMO the OP's tech dep cannot be bothered, and yes I know that happens frequently in institutions and workplaces, which, again, IMO means they are scamming it. I would have thought it would have been in the school's and the school IT department to ensure that the students get the best network and internet access that they can to further the students education. Without the students there would be no school.

That's america for you! Frugal, corner cutting, and lazy. God forbid anyone does something for the benefit of humanity and make a little less profit. Our ISP's are also stupid overpriced.

My current university is on a Wireless N network. The university where I attended my undergrad upgraded to AC wireless the second it launched and always had crazy fast internet. That was probably the exception I guess. That being said, I have complained to the IT department a LOT and they are in the process of upgrading the network. And to be fair the internet works just fine most of the time. It did improve over the summer.

In reference to the person who suggested a USB dongle, I used to use one on my old computer and that didn't really help things. Adjusting the power mode of the adapter (maximum energy savings vs maximum performance) doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference and I value battery life over wifi performance.

I'm questioning your laptop WiFi technology (G vs. N) as your iPhone 6 is getting 25.

You could try opening the command prompt as admin and run these commands.

Code:
ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

arp -d

ipconfig /renew

Could be a routing issue although I doubt that.

A better question, if you're at school... what is needed that requires faster than 10Mpbs? ;)

^ rhetorical

Back
Top Bottom