Booting From An ISO Image On A USB Flash Drive

ARNKUSA

Solid State Member
The idea is I'd like to create an image of my current Windows 7 system, including a few core programs, so that in the event of a catastrophic failure I can very easily boot from a USB flash drive.

I've tried several methods documented online but nothing seems to work. I made an image using EaseUs, which creates a .pbd file. I then saved it as an .iso file using PowerISO.

My USB flash drive is 256GB. The image file is roughly 20GB. I've read to format the drive as NTFS. I've also read that Windows could never boot from an NTFS formatted USB drive, and to use FAT32. Which apparently has a limit of 32GB.

Being that my files are around 20GB, I have tried both formats to no avail. I've used most of the suggested apps too, like RUFUS or the Windows 7 USB Tool for example. I've also tried some command line tutorials. Nothing.

But what if the image file is 75GB? 100GB? All I want is to create a mirror image of my setup, so that when Microsoft updates & reboots & jacks my computer I can get back up & running right away.

If you could provide some insight into what I'm doing wrong I would really appreciate it. I'd like to get to work (and not for Microsoft for free).

Advanced thank you...

Hello, as you already tried several methods to no aval. I would if I were you is to use a programme Macrium Reflect and make a backup image of your windows partition and save it on an external hard drive. When you run the programme for the 1st time it will ask you if you want to make a rescue CD, click yes and burn it to your CD/DVD drive.

Another good reason for using this method is that if your hard drive ever fails and you need to replace it, you can use your Macrium rescue CD to put back your Operating Sytem onto your new hard drive from your backup you saved.

Hope that helps

Hello, as you already tried several methods to no aval. I would if I were you is to use a programme Macrium Reflect and make a backup image of your windows partition and save it on an external hard drive. When you run the programme for the 1st time it will ask you if you want to make a rescue CD, click yes and burn it to your CD/DVD drive.

Another good reason for using this method is that if your hard drive ever fails and you need to replace it, you can use your Macrium rescue CD to put back your Operating Sytem onto your new hard drive from your backup you saved.

Hope that helps
Thanks, I've been making headway with both Macrium & EaseUs. To keep things simple, I've created the recovery USB (and a DVD) with Macrium, everything is cool. Next I made an image file of my C: disk/partition. Once the image is saved, I should just be able to copy/paste the image to another USB flash drive and I'm good to go yea?

That's good that you have all your bases covered, with both copy programmes.

yeah, sounds like your good to go then. :)

Back
Top Bottom