new harddrive question

chunk01

Beta member
Buying a media center with an internal harddrive bay.
I want to purchase an internal harddrive and hook it up to my pc EXTERNALLY transfer the files and then plug it into my new media device. So I want to temporarily hook up an interal hd to a pc externally.
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Buying a media center with an internal harddrive bay.
I want to purchase an internal harddrive and hook it up to my pc EXTERNALLY transfer the files and then plug it into my new media device. So I want to temporarily hook up an interal hd to a pc externally.
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Internal hard drives are exactly the same as external hard drives except that an external hard drive will come in a caddy. I would buy the hard drive and then buy a caddy that is easy to get into. You can buy them together but some of the caddies can be hard to get into when you want to remove the hard drive such as the WD My Book, Elements etc. The reason I say buy the caddy separately is because then you know that you will be getting a caddy designed to put any hard drive into reasonably easily. The caddy will have USB connectivity, hopefully USB three which is a bit faster than 2, Depending on how big you media files are it could take a long time to transfer them.

Yes but not directly. Hard drive connectivity is either IDE or, more likely in this day and age, SATA. So you need the caddy to convert whichever of those hard drive connecting methods to USB. As I said all an external hard drive is is an internal hard drive in a USB caddy.

You're basically looking for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/iDsonix-U310...d=1469845294&sr=1-10&keywords=Hard+Drive+Dock

With that, you plug the hard drive into the slot on the top, then the USB cable into your old PC. When you're done copying over, take the drive out of the docking station and slap it into the new PC.

Just as a heads up, that particular docking station I linked supports a maximum of 3TB sized hard drives.

You're basically looking for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/iDsonix-U310...d=1469845294&sr=1-10&keywords=Hard+Drive+Dock

With that, you plug the hard drive into the slot on the top, then the USB cable into your old PC. When you're done copying over, take the drive out of the docking station and slap it into the new PC.

Just as a heads up, that particular docking station I linked supports a maximum of 3TB sized hard drives.

Which is just a hard drive docking station aka a caddy. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom