Slow net speed on my laptop

brianlovegood

Beta member
Hello,
I use internet both on my laptop and PC connected to wireless router. For 2 days now, I am getting slower connection on laptop. It's working fine on my PC. I use Netgear N300 router and DSL internet service by Acanac. I don't know what is causing the issue. I tried turning on and off my router, but nothing happened. Need advice on this.

What version of Windows are you running, I'd start by checking for driver updates by going to device manager, finding the wifi card and right click it then click update driver software. Also how far away from the router are you?

If you are using wireless for both your devices the distance that you are from the router will affect your wireless speed and hence your internet speed. As you get further away from the router the wireless signal level decreases this can cause an increase in errors so your wireless tries to compensate by slowing the wireless data transfer rate this will affect the download and upload speed of your internet connection.

If you are using wireless for both your devices the distance that you are from the router will affect your wireless speed and hence your internet speed. As you get further away from the router the wireless signal level decreases this can cause an increase in errors so your wireless tries to compensate by slowing the wireless data transfer rate this will affect the download and upload speed of your internet connection.

To follow up on this, it may also depends on your type of walls you may have sometimes. Maybe if you can send pings out to like Google DNS or other servers to see if you get any high latency (ms time) if its high, there could potentially be some kind of issue with the line.

Maybe there is something, correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Thanks!

Hello,
I use internet both on my laptop and PC connected to wireless router. For 2 days now, I am getting slower connection on laptop. It's working fine on my PC. I use Netgear N300 router and DSL internet service by Acanac. I don't know what is causing the issue. I tried turning on and off my router, but nothing happened. Need advice on this.

If you could install DD.WRT software on you router, you will most like to duplicate your wireless power,i know it cause i installed DD.WRT on one of my routers and i have better wireless, better wireless then the original Xfinty router , i can go out across the street and i have good wireless while with ComCast Xfinity i only can get half of the distance, If your router is not supported,you can buy a cheap WRT54GL 50 bucks that will be a very good router to install dd-WRT software.

Installation - DD-WRT Wiki

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom