USB wifi adapter intermittently connect/disconnect

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Hi all,

I have a Netgear AC1200 model A6210 USB AC WiFi Adapter.

My issue is when I install the USB drivers from the official downloads page. The device disconnects and connects the hardware intermittently. I not talking about the WiFi dropping in and out as most of my results from a search page ends in these areas which is not the case.

The hardware has a spaz attack when the drivers go in but form some mysterious reason the Windows 10 drivers seem to work fine.

I have a Netgear nighthawk and would like to use the 5ghz band so I though installing the USB driver would let me see 5ghz bands as opposed to the MS drivers.

I have updated my USB drivers to the latest from the motherboard website but no luck with that.

I want to know what could be the cause to make a hardware to connect then disconnect repeatedly for an infinite number of times. What are the general fixes and what not.

I appreciate some input.

Cheers.

Edit: I run Windows 10 with ASUS Z170 Pro-Gaming motherboard if this detail helps.

I use wifi adapters all the time. Although it hasn't happen to me but reading on amazon reviews it has something to do with power. There is a power setting you have to change. Ill see if I can find it real quick.
Also I recommend getting something like this next time you buy one.
https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Long-Ra...d=1468760996&sr=8-16&keywords=wifi+ac+adapter
Edit:
TRY THIS.
Search POWER SETTINGS --> You'll see you might be on Balanced (Recommend) Checked marked --> Click Change plan settings --> Change Advanced power settings --> Tab Wireless Adapter Settings --> Change to Maximum Performance

Last edited:
Hi CrackerJacker,

Thanks for the input I went to check the power settings and its already at Max Perfomance. Could be a power issue, but I dont know why it would cause the USB adapter to go bananas when installing official drivers.

If there are other suggestions or what I should look for.

Cheers.

You can go into Device Manager, find the adapter, right click and go to Properties. Find the "power management" tab, and uncheck "Allow windows to disable this device" That has helped for me in the past.

Make sure that the adapter is plugged into the computer directly without the use of hubs or extension cables. Short of that you might just have a defunct device.

Thanks for your input crazyman143,

I went through that hellish thing again only to not see the power management feature in the official drivers. The drivers coming out of the Windows 10 seem to display it. I have ensured that the USB adapter is directly plugged in so there are no funny business, but alas it has happened.

It seems the answer would lie in the power issue or perhaps reinstall Windows in this case and install it fresh. (Not the route I want to take)

Does installing the driver provide me the access to the 5ghz speed band? Basically thats the goal because connecting on 2.4ghz is slower compared to the 5ghz and I am just directly above the where the router is.

Appreciate your input guys, keep em comin'.

Installing the proper drivers or even the ones that Windows installs will allow you to access the 5GHz band. Just remember that 5GHz does offer better speeds but the range it can cover isn't always as good and since you're above the router your speeds may or may not be affected. This below is from Netgear

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are simply different frequencies, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, whereas 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds. This article describes the differences between 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequencies, and offers suggestions for choosing the frequency that is best for your situation. - See more
What is the difference between 2.4 GHz and 5GHz?

Hi all,

I did a bit of digging found that some people are facing this kind of ordeal. It could be the fact that the USB3 is not working well with the drivers, on their official page there is a mention of known issues:

A6210 Software Version 1.0.0.34 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The U2 mode seems to be affecting my Asmedia USB peripherals. I dont quite understand the U2, does that translate to USB 2.0?

Let me know what you guys think could it just be a bad driver?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom