HP laptop comparison question

antonhaus

Solid State Member
Hello, fng here and a rookie pewter nerd at that:D:

I was at Best Buy the other day looking to purchase a new 17" laptop. The HP Model m7-u009dx on display caught my eye. Then they had a Model m7-n109dx on sale for $150 off. Salesman said the one on sale is EXACTLY the same as the other except the keyboard is bit different.

Is anyone familiar with these and is the one on sale problematic or just a great deal?

Any input greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Looks like the n109dx has a larger battery; other than that everything else looks the same: identical processors, RAM, Drive, ports... both have touchscreen. It appears the n109dx may be a second-gen, since it comes native with Win 10 and the original u009dx came with Win 8.

Thanks Dng,

So far it's looking to be a much better value than the other unless someone pipes up and sais the reason they're on closeout is from problematic issues.

Not even sure I need something this spendy as I only use the pewter for web browsing, amazon, ebay and banking pretty much - got some shopping and lotta research to do

Thanks again

Well, there doesn't seem to be much griping about the machine on the web... some backlighting bleed-through issues, which are typical of HP laptops, I guess, and short(ish) battery life-- go figure, look at the powerhouse they're packing in to this thing.

One person complained about a disabled SSD port, but I don't think that will affect you in any way.

Make sure there's some kind of return policy/warranty in effect.

Yeah, I saw the complaints about low batt. life which don't matter to me cause it'll be plugged in all the time. What does concern me is the bleed-thru problems I read complaints about,

hmnnnn - what to do, I've never even heard the term "backlighting bleed-through" until today.

Maybe a Del for my needs?

Frankly, neither have I. They have one on display at the store? take it for a test drive.

The only thing I can think of is that the bleedthrough might be a problem in a dark room... I know I'd be a bit peeved if a bright light were bleeding out around the frame or something when I'm in a dark room.

I've little experience with Dells, though the laptops we use at work seem to be pretty good, and the company is doing better overall on quality than it was say, ten years ago. Like I said in the other thread, your best bet is to list your wants and needs, prioritize them, and then comparison-shop.

If you have a Costco or Sam's Club membership, then see what they have, then hit the Office Depot/Staples web sites, then Best Buy. As I said, I got the best deals at Walmart last few times.

Also, see if your work has any kind of corporate deals, sometimes that works out.

Also, see if your work has any kind of ....

My WHAT !!!! :D only work I do is in my yard and helping friends which keeps me pretty busy

Old guy here, been retired awhile but thanks for the heads up as your tip would'a worked out well for me when I was workin' a few years back

Last edited:
Heh. I'm retired once and halfway through a second career myself.

Too blue-collar to actually be able to retire for real...

Back
Top Bottom