Best cable modem/router to purchase

jarlmaster

In Runtime
Hey guys. So I'm moving into a new apartment with my girlfriend at the end of July and we are getting Comcast 150mpbs down service. I am just going to buy a modem/router combo rather than rent one from Comcast. I want the best device money can buy essentially. Mu-Mimo, beamforming, channel bonding, the works. I have narrowed it down to two choices.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nigh...intended_use_browse-bin:9647497011|9647499011

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Cert...intended_use_browse-bin:9647497011|9647499011

The netgear has 24x8 channels vs 16x4 and is AC1900 vs AC1750. They both have beamforming and channel bonding. I assume mu-mimo as well though it isn't mentioned. In the apartment there will be my laptop, my iphone, my ps4, my xbox one, my 4K smart tv, her laptop, and her phone. We do a lot of video streaming (in the highest resolution available), online gaming, music streaming, web surfing, e-mail, etc. We don't upload much of anything so I'm wondering if the netgear might be overkill. Which do you guys think is better or is there another modem/router combo that you would recommend over either of these?

Thanks for the help!

If all the devices support AC wifi or 5GHZ N then yes. I'd jook things such as TV's, desktops etc and other wired devices via ethernet to ensure you can get the most out of your connection.

If all the devices support AC wifi or 5GHZ N then yes. I'd jook things such as TV's, desktops etc and other wired devices via ethernet to ensure you can get the most out of your connection.

Everything but the PS4 and Xbox One support AC wireless/5ghz channels (stupid console manufacturers cheaping out) but it's not really a big deal, as 2.4ghz wifi is fast enough. To reduce clutter, I don't think I'll bother with wired ethernet. We'll see.

Anyway ok I guess I'll go with the netgear then. Might as well spend the extra cash. I've always had good experiences with them.

Purchased! It's pricey but it will pay for itself in two years which is great and it should be quite future proof.

Back
Top Bottom