Random Chit Chat

I devour books... I'm at 72 read for the year. I'm mostly sci-fi/fan and non-fic in equal measures, but I've read a few mystery and general fiction books this year.

I tend to avoid romance.

I was sharing a list of some of my favorite authors with someone in another forum and somehow managed to triple the number of books I want to read this year... :eek:
Nice. Care to share? I am always on the lookout myself.
Mmm, i love eating books...especially the books on taxes. ;)

I can't even tell you the last time I picked up a book and read it. A long time ago I used to go to our local library and check out books and movies. The only books that interest me are the nature books and books about space. I'm a sci-fi nut.
I am into fantasy and sci-fi, mostly fantasy though. I seldom touch an actual physical book but read ebooks on my phone all the time.
I devour books... I'm at 72 read for the year. I'm mostly sci-fi/fan and non-fic in equal measures, but I've read a few mystery and general fiction books this year.

I tend to avoid romance.

Romance... bleh. I have been married now going on 30 years so I know romance already.

Again, share some of you favorite authors/series. I will be more than glad to reciprocate.

Here's my reading list for this year. I am looking at maybe rereading C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series, as I am a few volumes behind, or the HP books, I was talking about Jack Chalker's Well of Souls books and any number of Stephen Donaldson's series. I'd started to reread Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski books, but they aren't grabbing me the way they used to, I want to read some more Cathy Reichs, but the same is happening.

So, I've been bouncing; trying to keep a healthy mix of new reads in while rereading a few favorite authors.

I had to go and vote yesterday as a federal election is in the works. Its neck and neck at the moment, I am just hoping that Labor can beat the horrible Liberals..

Here's my reading list for this year. I am looking at maybe rereading C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series, as I am a few volumes behind, or the HP books, I was talking about Jack Chalker's Well of Souls books and any number of Stephen Donaldson's series. I'd started to reread Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski books, but they aren't grabbing me the way they used to, I want to read some more Cathy Reichs, but the same is happening.

So, I've been bouncing; trying to keep a healthy mix of new reads in while rereading a few favorite authors.

Lots on there that I haven't heard of. Thanks.

Some I can recommend:
Brent Weeks - Night Angel series and the Lightbringer series (still in progress)
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn series, The Reckoners series, The Stormlight Archives trilogy (waiting on the third book...)
Joel Rosenburg - Guardians of the Flame series
Roger Zelazny - the Amber series, especially the first series
Lev Grossman - The Magicians trilogy
Steven Erickson - Malazan Book of the Fallen series
Glen Cook - The Back Company series, Instrumentalities of the Night series
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series, finished by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death
Anne McCaffrey - Dragonriders of Pern series
Michael Crichton - anything he has written
Stephen Donaldson - Thomas Covenant series
John Flanagan - The Ranger's Apprentice series
William Gibson - Neuromancer
Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy
Steven King - The Dark Tower series
Larry Niven - the Ringworld books
Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantos series
J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings trilogy with The Hobbit as prologue
Ursula le Guinn - IEarthsea series
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law trilogy, The Shattered Sea trilogy
Michael Moorcock - Elric Of Melnibone series

I just started Jim Butcher's Codex Alrea series and am liking it thus far. He also writes the Dresden Files books but haven't read any of them yet.

Well... I read the Mistborn books last year; like them quite a bit, and they will be reread sometime in the future.

Read and reread Zelazny, McCaffrey, Donaldson, Gibson, Niven, Simmons, Tolkien, (of course), le Guin... I've read a few of the Elric books, a couple decades ago, but abandoned them. I find Crichton unreliable: Jurassic Park is obviously one of his best, but the sequels were sub-par, and the only book I can think of that was not better than the movie was Andromeda Strain

I have read some Robin Hobb, but not Farseer yet, and the sheer immensity of Wheel of Time is just so daunting... I will be looking at some of these others, though. It's always good to find a like-minded reader.

I was sharing a list of some of my favorite authors
Nice. Care to share? I am always on the lookout myself.

Eric Nylund, (almost completely) hands down. Not many people read the books from Halo, and he only wrote a few, but they were by far the best in the series. I've not read the entire GoT series, but I would contend that Nylund's ability to capture your attention and hold it was comparable if not better than, Martin's.
"The Fall of Reach", "Ghosts of Onyx" and "First Strike" were fantastic.
Some other authors were paid to do a few, but you can most certainly tell and the stories aren't near as... attention holding.

Wow. That's impressive... speed read?

Books?? Is that something you can eat? :lol:

With your mind, of course!

I seldom touch an actual physical book but read ebooks on my phone all the time.

I actually find it harder to read on my phone or tablet :(

The up side is that I am amassing a nice little library in the process :)

Romance... bleh. I have been married now going on 30 years so I know romance already.

Having been only married for 11... when can I expect it to come back?

ba dum tsss

Last edited:
Wow. That's impressive... speed read?

No, just would rather read than watch videos or movies.

I've been married to Dngrswife for 18 years (after an eight-year trial run with the crazy-nameless-ex) and for us romance pretty much boils down to finding a room somewhere in some distant town. :whistling:

So wow, it seems there is a mini heatwave sweeping across the US....Today its suppose to get up to 99 degrees. Hmmm, time to put on the trunks and go swimming. :)

So wow, it seems there is a mini heatwave sweeping across the US....Today its suppose to get up to 99 degrees. Hmmm, time to put on the trunks and go swimming. :)

Psh... It's supposed to be 107 degrees on Thursday here.

On a totally unrelated thought, I hate the Amazon music downloader.

Back
Top Bottom