I need faster internet...

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

I can understand why they won't go higher. If they add onto the bandwidth, they'll get a fixed rate for 12 months, then it fluctuates. They started the plan in 2001 and haven't looked back. I think I'm leaning towards a hotspot but I'm unsure of how much data I should include

2001?! Holy crap. How much do they pay if you don't mind me asking? I understand though. ISP's are obnoxious.

2001?! Holy crap. How much do they pay if you don't mind me asking? I understand though. ISP's are obnoxious.

They pay $49 for 1.47 Mbps (I just ran it on speedtest.net) and our phone line. They somehow bargained to keep at that one fixed rate and they don't want to lose it.... :facepalm:

That's not really a bargain. Until 3 weeks ago when I moved, I was paying $45/month for a 75Mbps connection from Comcast that regularly tested at 90Mbps.

I'm green with envy right now.... :D. But seriously.... Does anyone know how much gaming plus voice chatting (like skype or steam voice chat) would take up? I almost want to say 90-100 MB per hour, but I don't know.

Well woop de doop! if you think you are that clever go and sort your parents out and stop asking daft questions.

So who pissed in your morning coffee pete?

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

I'm green with envy right now.... :D. But seriously.... Does anyone know how much gaming plus voice chatting (like skype or steam voice chat) would take up? I almost want to say 90-100 MB per hour, but I don't know.

I have no idea. But there are program out there that can monitor your computers internet usage.
Also per program. So you can take skype + "insert game here" and get the data you are looking for.

What's your ping btw?
Ping is the most important factor in online gaming.

Last edited:
Ping over hotspots tends to be high in my experiances. That and device + data tends to end up costing as much if not more than a dedicated line from an ISP.

Decent quality audio averages around 100MB per hour (again based on my experiences). The games themselves can vary based on how much they save on your PC vs Load off the server, and how much exact communication is sent back and fourth. Your best bet is like Biker said and use a program to monitor your usage.

Ping over hotspots tends to be high in my experiances. That and device + data tends to end up costing as much if not more than a dedicated line from an ISP.

Decent quality audio averages around 100MB per hour (again based on my experiences). The games themselves can vary based on how much they save on your PC vs Load off the server, and how much exact communication is sent back and fourth. Your best bet is like Biker said and use a program to monitor your usage.

That's nuts. That is double what people are saying just gaming should be at (one said DayZ runs at 50) but yeah, I'll install the program tonight and play a couple hours of PayDay and I'll use steam voice chat and see what I'm pulling in. Thanks guys!

49 bucks for 1.47 mpbs is highway robbery and your ISP should be ashamed of themselves for charging that. My parents pay 30 a month for 5 mpbs down. Do your parents realize how badly they're getting fleeced?

49 bucks for 1.47 mpbs is highway robbery and your ISP should be ashamed of themselves for charging that. My parents pay 30 a month for 5 mpbs down. Do your parents realize how badly they're getting fleeced?

I do not know if they are ignorant or what. Of course I cannot bring that up with them, or I'm disrespectful and I've overstepped by bounds :confused::lol: Anywho, Time Warner offers 15 Mbps at $34 a month, but I do not know if they can offer a flat rate.

I do not know if they are ignorant or what. Of course I cannot bring that up with them, or I'm disrespectful and I've overstepped by bounds :confused::lol: Anywho, Time Warner offers 15 Mbps at $34 a month, but I do not know if they can offer a flat rate.

What a shocker. An ISP can't offer a decent rate. This country and it's internet I swear.

What a shocker. An ISP can't offer a decent rate. This country and it's internet I swear.

Don't get me wrong; I dislike the government and I don't like legislation that interferes with our freedom, but we are getting royally screwed when it comes to ISP's picking our prices and whatever. Something needs to be done. Either they are to only offer one flat unchangeable rate, or they need to charge less then they are for their service.

Back
Top Bottom