Hard Drives

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Hello folks,

I have just completed a clean install of Windows 10 and everything is fine.

What I am now wondering is, can I reallocate drive letters to my drives?

After completing the clean install I have ended up with a 'C' drive which contains my O/S and my programmes and which I will obviously keep without change.

I also now have 'I' 'J' 'K' and 'L' drives, can I change these to 'D' 'E' 'F' & 'G' ?

I have a feeling that this is possible and, if it is, is it easy to do please?

Many thanks.

Easily.
Right click on the start menu, and choose disk management.
Here you will see all your drives. Right click on the one you want to assign new letter to and choose "change drive letter"

Last edited:
BikerEcho is correct but if the drive letters you want are already in use then you will not be able to use them. I say this because Windows, normally, logically names drives so if Windows has started naming drives at I then, logically, drive letters D, E, F, G, and H are in use. You can still reorganise your drive letters in the way Bikerecho says but it does become a tad more complicated.

Easily.
Right click on the start menu, and choose disk management.
Here you will see all your drives. Right click on the one you want to assign new letter to and choose "change drive letter"

Thanks BikerEcho, that all seems pretty straightforward. However, when I click on 'Change' none of the drive letters appear in the list of options. All of the remaining letters of the alphabet are there, but none of the ones that I want.

Is there a way to overcome this or am I stuck with the choices given?

Thanks again for helping.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

BikerEcho is correct but if the drive letters you want are already in use then you will not be able to use them. I say this because Windows, normally, logically names drives so if Windows has started naming drives at I then, logically, drive letters D, E, F, G, and H are in use. You can still reorganise your drive letters in the way Bikerecho says but it does become a tad more complicated.

Just spotted your input pete.i I have replied to BikerEcho above, I expect you will spot it.

Thanks for coming in on my query. be interesting to see if there is a way around this.

So those letters aren't used by other devices?
That's a strange problem.

Try this.
Type in regedit in start.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - MountedDevices
In the bottom you should see the drive letters that you want to use as mounted drives.
Delete them.
Restart the computer.
Then try to change the letters again.

(i recommend making a backup of your registry before doing this... just in case something fucks up)

Last edited:
I did all of that BikerEcho but it didn't work I'm afraid. I deleted them and then did a pc restart and tried to make the changes but the letters I want aren't listed again.

I then went back into the registry and the letters were still there.

BK:
He already tried that. :/

Try this then.
In the registry under mounted drives. Rename the missing drives with the letters you want to Q,R,S or some other letter that are far in the alfabet. Restart, and try changing the letters again.

Thanks for this BikerEcho, I have to go out for the rest of the day now and so will try your solution either later today or tomorrow. Thanks again.

No problem. Hope it works.
I know it's a workaround (because you will still have 4 drive letters less), but i have no idea what courses this.

Back
Top Bottom