Clean install of Windows 10

bluenose1940

In Runtime
After much fifing and faffing about I have managed to do another clean install of Windows 10 on my pc.

I have recently had a lot of problems and I thought that another clean installation was the right way to go.

The installation went OK and all seems to be well but, on boot up I get a screen that says 'Choose an Operating System' and beneath that are two boxes, one says Windows 10 on Volume 2 and the other just says Windows 10. I have not had this happen before.

Does anyone know why this has happened please?

Many thanks.

Sounds to me like you have 2 partitions with windows in each.
Ether that, or your boot manager thinks you do.
You can disable that message and tell the manager to boot one of them all the time without asking.

Sounds to me like you have 2 partitions with windows in each.
Ether that, or your boot manager thinks you do.
You can disable that message and tell the manager to boot one of them all the time without asking.

hello again BikerEcho, Hopefully I have been able to attach an image of the only drive that is connected on my pc at the moment. can you tell anything from that?

Thanks for helping.

Capture.JPG

Yes. Your problem isn't that it has 2 windows partitions, but it thinks you do.
Enter "msconfig" in the start menu or in a commend prompt (cmd)
Click the "boot" tap.
Delete the additional OS (the OS that doesn't exist)
Restart your computer.

You shouldn't see that multiple choice menu again after that.

I have followed BikerEcho's advice and now no longer get the message to choose the O/S which is what I want.

However, looking at the drive via Macrium Reflect, the drive seems to be split into several partitions and, as I only use the drive for the O/S and my programmes, I am wondering if I can tidy it up and get back to just the single partition and get rid of the bits numbered 3 and 4.

I really don't know how it came to be in the state that it is at the moment.

Hopefully the image of the drive will appear here OK.

Attachments

• SSD Drive.JPG
    SSD Drive.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 7
You should be able to unallocate partition 3 and 4 and expend partition 2 to take up the unallocated space.
haven't actually tried this myself before, but Gparted should be able to do it.
You will have to make a bootable USB or burn the ISO to a CD and boot it up.

I'll recommend download Ultimate Boot CD. It has this tool included along with many other cool tools.
It's a good bootable package to have on standby.

Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD

Back
Top Bottom