USB port on Lenovo is shot! help :)

papernpaste

Beta member
Hello. I have a wife that frequently and carelessly plugged-in and un-plugged a USB in my Lenovo Z570 laptop and ruined the receiver on the laptop.
Is it possible to replace that portion of the laptop (the part that includes the USB receiver). Any links to part purchase and How-to video would be awesome!
Thanks.

Little confused when you say USB receiver.
Because i am thinking of something like this when you say that
418vLA%2BttXL._SX300_.jpg

I'm thinking they mean the socket itself.

Your best bet is to do a search using the model number of your laptop and "parts".

I am not familiar with Lenovo machines; I know that HP has a pretty good online parts catalog, and it is possible that there is one for the Lenovo brand.

Depending on how old the unit is and how compact, they may or may not have made that piece separate. If it's separate, you can usually find a replacement on eBay (use the part number you found in the catalog, if there is one, or maybe off the part itself). If it is integrated with the main board, then you'd have to either source a socket form an electronics vendor or replace the whole mainboard.

If the machine is more than three or four years old, I'd use this as an excuse to get a newer laptop.

I have rarely seen a usb port that is not soldered directly to the laptop's motherboard. It can be repaired by someone comfortable taking apart laptops and soldering small electronics. If that person is you, refer to this youtube video for how to take it apart:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqN1m5zhnww

Otherwise, you can just get a USB hub.

I probably shouldn't have posted at all...at least not until I had more time on my hands. Thanks to all who replied but, I screwed up. It's not the USB port (I called it a receiver without thinking); it's the HDMI port that is damaged and I can no longer attach my laptop to the smart TV via a 10' HDMI cable. I've replaced the cable. My wife beat the crap out of it.... in-out-in-out-in-out until the port isn't connecting to the cable properly. I've tried to "spread" the "teeth" inside the port but, to no avail. As far as I can tell, there are no missing "teeth"
Once again, I apologize to all for the incorrect information in my OP. And, again, thanks to those who replied.

Just get some de-solder braid and remove the old one and solder in the new one, it's a fifteen minute job.

Just get some de-solder braid and remove the old one and solder in the new one, it's a fifteen minute job.

Easier said than done. I've seen some pretty ugly soldering done by "professionals"; telling a novice that this is a simple job is misleading at best.

I've much experience doing this kind of thing myself, but I have the advantages of years of practice and professional equipment. I also know that trying to use a bargain-basement soldering iron (or Bob-forbid, a Weller Soldering gun) to do something like this on a laptop mainboard is like practicing internal medicine using kitchen utensils.

I guess you are asking about installing another USB port on the board. I don't think that can be done without an expert. Laptop inner components are well arranged. Once its get changed, only professionals can rearrange that system. Better you go for a USB hub.

Back
Top Bottom