ssd

A Samsung SSD is not comparable with my Dell OptiPlex GX280. So I will need a Crucial MX200.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

I read on the Samsung web page that that particular hard drive is not. I guess because the hard drive will not fit into the motherboards slot.

I think nearly every SSD (unless it's the really small m2) uses a standard sata cable to connect to the motherboard. The ports look like this Unless that computer is so old that it only has IDE connectors it should work.

If it only has IDE connectors I wouldn't bother upgrading it to an SSD anyway.

The SSD hard drive looks like this.

ImageUploadedByComputer Forums1464111867.862610.jpg

The above is the one that is not supposed to be compatable.

ImageUploadedByComputer Forums1464111976.441971.jpg

The above one here is comparable.

Both look like they snap into a slot on the motherboard not by cable.

The second picture is an Msata and it snaps into a slot on the motherboard which I think your computer does not have.

The first picture is the standard size and it will plug in with 2 cables, it does not snap into any slot. Based on what you posted in your other thread, this is the one that is compatible.

see this photo for comparison of sata and msata

see this photo for the 2 cables that plug into a standard sata ssd

the wider cable is for power and comes from your PSU. the narrow cable is a sata data cable and plugs into motherboard port.

An SSD will only let the computer read and write data faster. that's all it will ever do. It will not make the ram faster, it will not make the processor faster. It will not make the bus work any faster. In short, no it won't make your computer faster, it will let it boot up a little faster, but it will still be dependent upon the CPU speed and the bus speed as well as a lot of other factors.

An SSD will only let the computer read and write data faster. that's all it will ever do. It will not make the ram faster, it will not make the processor faster. It will not make the bus work any faster. In short, no it won't make your computer faster, it will let it boot up a little faster, but it will still be dependent upon the CPU speed and the bus speed as well as a lot of other factors.
This is true but the overall effect of an ssd is that the system will be a little snappier since disk accesses are much faster. Accessing the disk is only a portion of overall system performance, as Tech points out, RAM, CPU, Bus and video operations will not be effected.

Regardless, all of my computers have an ssd as the boot drive.

Back
Top Bottom