Anyone use Skype?

aHumanError

Baseband Member
Hello there.

I haven't installed Skype on my laptop for almost two years now, last time I used it wasn't a great memory. It was horrendous, so slow, bloated, consumed RAM for no reason, and they constantly flooded you with "new" versions trying to fix the sheer volume of problems it had back then - which often surfaced another issue.

I should explain that I was from the MSN and WLM era of communication and it was a big disappointment for me when Microsoft announced the end of their chat software and to be replaced with Skype, well after that didn't work so well I looked for alternatives and I used Trillian for a little while which worked well - exactly what I needed; just a basic chat app with all the functionality of Skype but that WASN'T Skype, it was great... until they cut support for it!

So after that I kinda gave up, I wasn't prepared to install Skype again.

So my question is how is Skype these days? To be honest I'm not really interested in making calls or anything like that. I kinda like having my contacts [who all use Skype] there to chat to and that's it. And is there any cross platform alternatives?

I used to use Skype on a day to day basis but now I hardly use it. I found it was ram consuming but now it could be better. The UI has been improved and real time translations.

I used it lately and it works well. I use the Windows standalone version from their official website. Last time was a conference call with five people. Downstream dealt with videos of three of them very well with no delay in audio. Not sure about the upstream as I only used audio. I'm shy :D

First thing as I connected with one who used audio and video, I tested the latency with her and it was perfect.

My whole life I used it two times only. With my fears of screwing up in spoken English, I keep coming with excuses for invitations I get from my online friends :D

Nope, it is obsolete now, it is even being dropped by smart tvs and will soon not be used at all anymore.

I think most people these days are using facebook messenger, facetime, google hangouts, etc.

Back
Top Bottom